Back To One Of My Sites

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not to rehash, but this Summer was the first time I was out detecting in approx. 3 years; work, kids, responsibilities--just put it down.
I have been trying to veer away from many of the sites I used to detect, and find some new ones.
So far, some success at this, but with only a bit of time the other day I decided to go back to one of my old ball park sites.
It is an oider area--never found anything more than a wheat there in terms of older items, but I never finished detecting it.
In the past, I only detected it twice, but I could not stop digging quarters out of it.

Seems after all this time...guess what...still digging a ton of quarters out of it.

About 2 hours goes by and I decided to walk down towards a big old oak tree, and I could not pull anything out around there.
(Shux--that always works. Nope not on this site).
Turned around then and the land sloped up and away from it and I got a deep hit--was the lawnmower part about 8" down :laughing7: (Ha ha).
Walked a bit towards another younger tree and kept swinging and then a nice, solid shallow (2-3" down)
(You know how you look at it and just kind of freeze, like your brain is taking it's own picture in utter surprise) and pop out the holy medallion.
Sterling silver and has the date of 1880 at the very bottom of the obverse.
I am not certain exactly what the date means in significance? If anything? I know somebody knows here--so much easier than researching it out.

916a.JPG

916b.JPG

916c.JPG

Quite happy with this one; a nice solid piece.

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling that sweet silver religious medallion. :occasion14: Looks like you also had quite a clad haul. It's nice to have a site you can fall back on and only dig quarters or better since there are so many targets.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nice find. It's called the "miraculous medal." The date isn't the age of the medal- but if you google it you'll find out why. I found one about 3 years ago and haven't stopped wearing it since.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good score on the religious medallion....the year 1880 refers to the year a miracle happened not the issue date of the silver medallion.

Regards + HH

Bill

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice medallion, I found one like that earlier this summer

Big Ole silver!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice medallion.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Silver! :occasion14:

OP
OP
CoilFisher

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, thanks for the info guys and the congrats!
Nothing spectacular compared to the other finds here, but I am inching forward.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOVE THE MARY MEDALLION PENDANT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread