Backbone or some kind of coral?

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I found this a few years ago in a river bed in Missouri, I think. It's measurements are 2 1/2" by 1 3/4". The fossil in question is 1" by 1/4". The rock is light brown with odd blotches of really dark brown--the back side consists of mainly the blotches of dark brown. I don't think it is just scorchings from a fire, but who knows. The rock is very smooth and is covered with coral imprints and other tiny fossils.
The question basically is, is this some weird form of coral I've never seen before, or is this a spine of some animal? If either, what kind, if anyone could tell from these. I'll post a couple of pictures below. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• SmSpine1.jpg
    SmSpine1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 279
  • SmSpine2.jpg
    SmSpine2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 268
OP
OP
Snee

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Well, see, I've thought of that. The reasons I don't think it is that, is because it isn't an imprint. Also, the lines coming out from the main part are separated by pairs. It's interesting to me, whatever it is...

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I'm reasonably sure it's not a coral nor backbone. Looks like a cephalopod to me. This would explain the tapered appearance, the segmentation and the central division you're seeing. How big is this thing?

Richard

OP
OP
Snee

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
It's measurements are 2 1/2" by 1 3/4". The fossil in question is 1" by 1/4".
I would need to see an example to compare to see it as a sephalopod. I'm looking at pictures and they're like squids and crabby creatures, but nothing I'm seeing looks similar to this, but it may be, I don't know. Thanks for your reply.

I also would like to know what kind of rock this is. We have a lot of this around here--river rock mostly (south-central Missouri). But mainly I'm interested in the fossil. I have other fossils and rocks I will be adding to other topics and subjects, take a look please! :)

GabbyGEP

Mar 30, 2005
Platteville, Colorado
Snee

It looks like, and due to the presence of fossils, probably is a limestone. Much of Missouri and Arkansas have limestone. As the limestone dissolves away it forms caves. It was once the floor of an inland sea. Good fossil and great job on the picture. Keep on hunting those fossils. Good luck and happy hunting.

GabbyGEP(Gaylord)

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Snee said:
It's measurements are 2 1/2" by 1 3/4".? The fossil in question is 1" by 1/4".
I would need to see an example to compare to see it as a sephalopod.? I'm looking at pictures and they're like squids and crabby creatures, but nothing I'm seeing looks similar to this, but it may be, I don't know.? Thanks for your reply.

I also would like to know what kind of rock this is.? We have a lot of this around here--river rock mostly (south-central Missouri).? But mainly I'm interested in the fossil.? I have other fossils and rocks I will be adding to other topics and subjects, take a look please! :)

The part of cephalopods that is normally seen as a fossil is the conical-shaped shell. When you look at a squid, the shell is internal and consists of chambers penetrated by an internal tube. That's probably what the second fossil is. It would be very rare to see the squid soft parts preserved. Generally all that survives fossilization is the conical shell.

Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread