Backyard Reveals Another Pocket Knife! Age??

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a pouring rain today I got out in the yard, still without my pointer but the dig did not disappoint. I found a lot of junk, some rat bones and a great pocket knife.

At first glance I thought it was a Civil War knife as I have found plenty of other CW items. But after an initial cleaning and some oil, I'm not sure. I think it might be 20th century. It looks like there is a little bit of white underneath the black casing but I need to look a little closer.

Still excited though-- it's the 3rd or 4th pocket knife that I have found in my yard. Oh, and for those of you who have read my posts before, I've done some more research on my land. It looks as if there were two small structures here, not sure if they were houses or something else but the area where the structures were is where I have found a lot of stuff.

Thanks for looking! IMG_5046.JPG IMG_5047.jpg IMG_5048.jpg IMG_5049.jpg IMG_5050.jpg IMG_5051.jpg

Upvote 3

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the old pocket knife. Great relic recovery.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My guess would be mid twentieth century up through the 1970's. I've dug a lot of colonial and Civil War era pocket knives and they all look much different. I found one on a Confederate camp site that had a black bone handle(found five pocket knives in a ten foot square area at this spot and puzzling how they lost so many in such a small area), but that black handle on yours appears to me more factory produced. Great find though and surely more things hiding there.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I'm thinking Boy Scouts of America folding knife from the 1950s (possibly a four part). Black celluloid handle, the federal style shield is stamped/screwed on top rather than inlaid like shield logos from other manufacturers (and many others used shield logos).

As some more dirt is cleaned off enough to fold out the largest blade (unless you plan on keeping as is) might shed some light as a manufacturer stamp may be on it.

Neat find!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking Boy Scouts of America folding knife from the 1950s (possibly a four part). Black celluloid handle, the federal style shield is stamped/screwed on top rather than inlaid like shield logos from other manufacturers (and many others used shield logos).

As some more dirt is cleaned off enough to fold out the largest blade (unless you plan on keeping as is) might shed some light as a manufacturer stamp may be on it.

Neat find!

I did see some like the one you mentioned. And you're right, it's celluloid. Still love it! ; )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread