Banded slate bannerstone, gorget and pendant preforms

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_3678.JPG IMG_3679.JPG IMG_3680.JPG IMG_3681.JPG IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3684.JPG IMG_3685.JPG IMG_3686.JPG IMG_3687.JPG IMG_3688.JPG IMG_3689.JPG IMG_3690.JPG IMG_3691.JPG IMG_3692.JPG IMG_3693.JPG IMG_3694.JPG IMG_3695.JPG IMG_3696.JPG IMG_3697.JPG

All PFs, Jay Co. Indiana. Red elliptical gorget, half drilled pendant, winged banner,
rectangular gorget and ball banner were all found this year. Butterfly banner half,
Celt preform, flaked trade blank are from previous years. Perfect examples of pecking
on these pieces. Preform or study pieces have became my favorite thing to find.

Upvote 1

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Wow, really nice collection there. Welcome to the site. Looking forward to seeing more of what you find. I couldn't find a piece of slate if my life depended on it. Congrats.

Thanks.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet ! I love that pendant.... I think i'd wear it, just because it's awesome

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I see....I didn't realize that was the same piece. Dang, that's crazy...

Oh wait...the one with the two holes on one side has only one hole on the other?

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I see....I didn't realize that was the same piece. Dang, that's crazy...

Oh wait...the one with the two holes on one side has only one hole on the other?

Yes this type drill from both sides, still needed one last hole drilled, if you look closely you can see touch mark from drill bit where they were planning on drilling. IMG_3689.JPG

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see. Interesting...makes you wonder why it wasn't finished. Great stuff.

OP
OP
O

oryancochran

Jan 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my artifacts are surface field finds, All come from with in a 1/4 mile of my house. Been hunting since I was seven, when my dad got my started. Love ground stone tools, I'm founder of NA ground stone artifacts tools and ID group on Facebook. I live in a glacial kame culture area in NE indiana and many of the tools and artifacts I find are from that period. My main hunting site I call the double knoll, 90% of my finds have came from those two glacial kame hills I hunt. So far this year I've hauled home 50+ Side by side 1000## loads of stone from the field. And cleaned, sorted and inspected every piece. I'm now studying utilized cobble tools and artifacts, and how there so easily overlooked. I'm big on ground stone identification uniformity throughout the different regions, and identification of tools with no names, but show use wear or pecking, grinding or flaking. Lots of utilitarian artifacts are overlooked because people see low monetary value, but the real value to everyone is historic. And will help us all learn to understand the natives daily lives.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love what you said about utilitarian tools ocochran i think these type of artifacts dont get the attention they deserve, they help fill out or paint the picture of how the native Americans lived. I look forward to seeing more of your collection and recent finds, thanks for sharing them and your insight.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Thanks for the close ups on the drilled holes and the pecking. I'd love to see more utilized cobbles...I seems to be what I key on when I go looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread