Barber Dime Find (Send in for grading?)

Sep 12, 2023
Found this 1907O barber dime detecting an old park a few months ago. I'm sending in some coins to NGC for grading and thought this would be a cool addition to the submission with it being a coin I found detecting! I would hope for maybe a high VF or XF grade. My only concern is the scratch on the lower left part of the obverse side of the coin. Would this cause this coin not to straight grade and get a details grade? Thanks for the help!
4186A804-0442-4757-AC27-09382E60D514.jpeg
452900F0-FE9C-4AA6-8A87-C53433BD47A9.jpeg

OP
OP
C
Sep 12, 2023
IMO, the cost of grading is more than the value of the coin. Choose another battle, this not worth it.
Great find though....
I agree the grading fees are crazy. If it grades at an XF, the value should be worth around 80 bucks. Which would put me ahead since it was free for me to acquire the coin. Would be cool to just have in a slab as a conversation piece though too I think! Thank you.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
If you do it as a personal treasure, rather than as an investment, it makes sense to have it graded.
I would equate it with paying $18 to have a $5 sports coat dry cleaned.
Most people would not see it as logical. But if it was a sentimental item… ? I’ve probably done similar, in different ways.👍🏼

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hairlines across the face would get this a "cleaned" designation at the very least without a doubt, might be severe enough to call it scratched.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Sep 12, 2023
The hairlines across the face would get this a "cleaned" designation at the very least without a doubt, might be severe enough to call it scratched.
I doubt the coin was cleaned, due to me digging it out of the ground. I would guess it was dropped there 100 years ago. It's possible those hairline scratches came from the sandy soil it was buried in. Thank you though! I'll probably just hold onto the coin and save myself the frustration of getting back a coin with a details grade.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I send a coin in like that it comes back ungraded with an "environmental damage" on it. Ugh. I won't waste the money again. You have a nice coin however.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt the coin was cleaned, due to me digging it out of the ground. I would guess it was dropped there 100 years ago. It's possible those hairline scratches came from the sandy soil it was buried in. Thank you though! I'll probably just hold onto the coin and save myself the frustration of getting back a coin with a details grade.

To the grading companies though, hairlines=cleaned. Doesn’t really matter how they got there!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay it was buried for a certain length ot time to which we really :dontknow:
The coin was photographed with some dirt on it still.
Then another shiny and clean.
So it will be deemed environmental damage/or cleaned.
The value was there to begin with really.
Might as well put it in a 2x2 and place it in the display.

Congrats on digging the nice looking silver.

Screenshot_20240101_133935_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240101_133744_Chrome.jpg

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had you instantly sprayed the coin with some foo-foo juice, instead of wiping off the dirt with your thumb…. (Which you know you did,) we’d be talking about a coin without those face-scratches.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coin grading is expensive.
Even if you plan on selling the coin the grading would either greatly lower or totally eliminate any profit.

I've dug some fairly valuable 1800's Silver coins including ones with Carson City & New Orleans mint marks.
As already mentioned in this thread - I would just put it in a 2 x 2 Coin Flip or in a plastic Coin Capsule.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Had you instantly sprayed the coin with some foo-foo juice, instead of wiping off the dirt with your thumb…. (Which you know you did,) we’d be talking about a coin without those face-scratches.
Exactly what I thought as well, the thumbed scratch look.
It's really hard not getting micro scratches on a silver, I've had them scratch just from disturbing the soil from digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread