Batcaps "Unholy Racket" hi-speed coin cleaner

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Batcap's "Unholy Racket" hi-speed coin cleaner

I did a little research on DIY tumblers, but ran across a guy cleaning cartridges with a vibrating sander. Being a cheap son of a gun, I picked up a palm sander from Harbor Freight on sale for $10.

Using nearly half of a $3.95 bottle of Gorilla glue, I firmly attached it to a free "pickle bucket" I got at work. Then came the test . . .

I loaded my nasty filthy lucre (with random trash bits), covered it with water and a squirt of soap, and set it loose!

It would be hard to overemphasize just how loud this contraption is. The closest I can come up with would be a bulldozer at full throttle and high gear on concrete, but really it's worse than that.

The good news is I could only stand it for 20 minutes, and that that's with the kit outside (and me inside). The result is coins clean enough to put in my coin sorter. All I did is pour the bucket into a collander and rinse them off. The last picture shows them on the towel I dried them off on. I rubbed them on that towel! It's a bit discolored but you can still see it's still basically a white towel.

Unless you either have no neighbors or you hate them, avoid doing this more than quarterly.

Attachments

• B+S.jpg
    B+S.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 460
  • Raw rinsed.jpg
    Raw rinsed.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 464
  • InBucket.jpg
    InBucket.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 444
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg