Baubles…

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Found these 9, brass harness baubles this afternoon. I’ve found hundreds of feet of harness leather this year, and all of it looked purely utilitarian. I’d say from work horse harnesses. My location is reasonably close to an old, well documented, stage stop. I’m wondering if possibly spare rigging was kept here, just in case. These would have been ornamental IMO; not from a plow horse. They aren’t riveted; they crimp into the strap.
I was happy to get them. The strap is rotten, so I can’t keep it intact. Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

• IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    828.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1774.jpeg
    IMG_1774.jpeg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 9

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these 9, brass harness baubles this afternoon. I’ve found hundreds of feet of harness leather this year, and all of it looked purely utilitarian. I’d say from work horse harnesses. My location is reasonably close to an old, well documented, stage stop. I’m wondering if possibly spare rigging was kept here, just in case. These would have been ornamental IMO; not from a plow horse. They aren’t riveted; they crimp into the strap.
I was happy to get them. The strap is rotten, so I can’t keep it intact. Thanks for viewing!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but why not a plough horse, our's were highly decorated with horse brasses & various bling. Are you saying they didn't do this in the US?

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Sorry, but why not a plough horse, our's were highly decorated with horse brasses & various bling. Are you saying they didn't do this in the US?
No, I’m reflecting on the fact that I’ve found a huge amount of buried harness leather and all but one piece was quite Spartan. That leads me to believe it was rare, for some reason. Also, a lot of folks in this area still farmed with horses during the Great Depression. I’d venture a guess that horse bling was a non-essential item.
You’re right though, some ploughing horses were more adorned, according to pictures I’ve seen. Thanks for the point of view.👍🏼

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread