Beach hunting with the ATP

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunt in pro-zero, set discrimination at 35, sensitivity at about half and most important..... Ground balance.
Be sure to ground balance in dry sand, again in wet sand and again when you wet the coil. Ground balance any time you notice the detector getting a little noisey.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same as above but I was able to run with full sensitivity at Myrtle Beach with mine and had no problems. Just all depends on the sand. GB a lot if it gets chatty, mine was GB at 11 in the water.

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the above comments. The coil will false if you try to move from the wet sand directly into the water, so try and keep parallel to the breakers. Not sure how deep you will get, but the machine will run fine if you ground balance - good luck! AND... rinse the machine in off real good in fresh water after you are done hunting, making sure you get the sand out of the coil cover and cam locks.

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground balance for salt beach ranges from 0-20. If it chatters, turn the sensitivity down a bit. And as others have said, GB in dry sand, again in wet sand and again in the water.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

2TallHunter

Greenie
Mar 11, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is any black sand you are going to have a really hard time. You will also only be digging about 4 in at half sensitivity. VLF machines are not made for saltwater and at the beach all the good tones are in the wet sand. You really want a FBS or PI machine for the saltwater.

------------------------------------
AT PRO, Pro Pointer, Garrett Digger, Homemade Sand Scoop, 2014 - 1 Gold Ring, 2 Silver Rings, 1 1943 Silver Dime, $122 Clad Coins, 343 Bottle Caps, 432 Pull Tabs

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is some info on salt water hunting in the instruction manual. Also, Clive Clynick (clivesgoldpage) has some excellent books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread