All Treasure Hunting

Molon Labe

Feb 4, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im confused as to what your question is. If your asking if a situation arise where you would NEED to shoot a bear for self defense, a good rifle caliber would be .357 (pistol) and for rifles .375, .450 or a 12 gauge shotgun.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It just might end up pissing off the bear.I dont think she'll want a pissed off black bear around.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im confused as to what your question is. If your asking if a situation arise where you would NEED to shoot a bear for self defense, a good rifle caliber would be .357 (pistol) and for rifles .375, .450 or a 12 gauge shotgun.
Thanks. I know that.
Question is can A .410 shotgun take out an average size black bear? in case my mother in law has no choice. I could stalk him with my .44 mag....not always around to do so.
If the .410 (22 inch barrel will not work for her I need to tell her...stay in the house? she don't wanna......
Stubberin irish women...

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just might end up pissing off the bear.I dont think she'll want a pissed off black bear around.
Yeh i told her that. I 'am going to have remove said bear from the property.
The PDX1 .410 rounds have good results in tests. but I told her...bears are not made of "gel" !!!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You might be better off loading it up with some Brenneke Silver Slugs.I was checking .410 ballistics,the average .410 slug puts out little more than 700 foot pounds of energy, the Brenneke Silver Slug puts out a little more than 1000 foot pound of energy.I'd still be hesitant to use it on a bear though.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be better off loading it up with some Brenneke Silver Slugs.I was checking .410 ballistics,the average .410 slug puts out little more than 700 foot pounds of energy, the Brenneke Silver Slug puts out a little more than 1000 foot pound of energy.I'd still be hesitant to use it on a bear though.
Yes...as am I.
My mother in law is ....well.....set in her ways.
I can shoot the .410!
yes ma'am....it works great for gophers and doves.
I will use a frying pan on it!
Yes ma'am....you will make it mad.
I'm mad that the bear is in my compost!
Ma'am....yell at it...makes me leave!:laughing7:
Under my breath of course.
Now she tells me....I can shoot all the guns!
She is recently widowed...so she has that yes i can attitude.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet your bear has left as he was probably just wandering through. He doesn't want to see you and I'm quite sure he doesn't want to see your mother in law, tho she may be a very nice lady.

I too, live in bear country and I spend more time in the woods than anyone I know. I see scat and tracks all the time. In 8 years I've seen 2 and they couldn't leave fast enough. I figure they are nocturnal. So don't leave anything out to attract them and you're probably ok.

I wouldn't use a 410- unless I absolutely was backed in a corner without any other options.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think just the sound of the gun would scare it off,just dont hit it with a 4-10,more than likely just make it mad.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bears here in Vt. have discovered the amount of tasty food that people put out on the ground and in bird feeders for the birds. F-G have just fined a man for continueing feeding the bears, with one having to be shot by his neighbor as they consumed all thefood next door and was foraging on the neighbors back porch. The first fine was $1000, and loss of hunting and fishing license for a year.....becomes a criminal offense with subsequaint occurances.......but some will never learn, several homes and outside sheds have been damaged already this year by the bruins. Luckily the berries are now ripening, and they are moving back into the hills for the season, only to have developed a taste for seeds and garbage, and will return next year.......Gary

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OV... The 410 (as you know) is to small for the bear. And you'd have to be SO CLOSE to actually bring it down if you had the better ammo. Sounds like this women is stubborn but if she just fires off a few rounds (not at the bear) this would probably make the bear run away from area. It's probably just passing through... I hope. But to hit this bear with 410 loads is probably going to get her in trouble. Maybe throw some boxes of moth balls around and see how it likes sniffing that.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The only way you could put that bear down with a .410 is a direct shot in the mouth why he is growling. That would sever his nerve connections to his brain. She would be better off with a large can of that really nasty bear spray. The .410 shot, if not placed properly, would encourage rage. The bear spray would discourage him. He would never return. Just my thoughts, Frank...-
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have got cameras, and a two way radio set up. Cams are wireless and A good idea anyway, since she now lives alone. Lots of family around though.
I told her...I got it!
I will most likely just scare the bear...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions