Beautiful day for an overhang find. Knife maybe??

WYO_Yote

Jul 2, 2018
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in SE Wyoming along a creek. I've never found a point quite like this.

Any suggestion on what it could be?

Love that spring is just around the corner!!!!!

fullsizeoutput_dc0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_dc1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_dbf.jpeg

Upvote 35

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some work at the Powers II Clovis site in Guernsey, WY, not far from the Hell Gap Site. That could be a very important find. Dr. Surovell at the University of Wyoming might be interested to see it. Do you mind if I share your pictures with Dr. RM Gramly? He'd love to see it as well.

Looks to be a G-10 on condition. I would as Oxbowbarefeet suggested share it with the archeological community. These types of finds are very important and helpful to them in understanding a time 10,000 years ago.
Will look nice on a frame on your wall.
Congrats!

OP
OP
W

WYO_Yote

Jul 2, 2018
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, share away! Guernsey is just down the road from where is was found. If Dr. Surovell wants to get in touch with me let me know.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course, share away! Guernsey is just down the road from where is was found. If Dr. Surovell wants to get in touch with me let me know.

Glad we were able to connect. I hope Dr. Surovell or Dr. Kornfeld will be able to provide some additional info.

I don't know how well versed you are on values of paleo points, but this one would be on the very high end of the spectrum. I'm not sure any of the finds currently on the Banner would exceed its historical or monetary value. It's certainly many thousands of years older than anything up top right now!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one of the nicest ones Ive seen Well done....

OP
OP
W

WYO_Yote

Jul 2, 2018
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New info, hot off the press.

Hey all, thank you for the congrats. Had some Dr.'s weigh in on the find and it is sounding like it is a Shoshone knife. Ive include a sketch that I received that more or less confirms that the piece I found resembles a "Snake Nation" knife. Again, thank you so much for the interest and information. Without this community I'd be lost.

Attachments

• image002.png
    image002.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 34

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The points in the drawing are completely different than yours. Look at the beveling in the pic. All four edges are beveled and it looks like a propeller after resharpening. I don't see any beveling on your piece. The points in the drawing are also called Harahey Knives. To me, yours looks more like a Hell Gap but those western points are many miles away from my area of expertise. I suppose a non-beveled Harahey is possible. Gary

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great looking point. I agree with Garebel. Post it in North American Indian Artifacts forum, and they will ID it for you, although it sounds like its already been Id'd by a few members here.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning artifact! Wow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread