Been pretty sanded in around here, no gold but a cool badge I could use some ID help

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been pretty sanded in around here, no gold but a cool badge -SOLVED!

Took advantage of what may have been the last nice day and was able to squeeze in a beach hunt. It's been pretty sanded in most places around here but there are still some little clusters that pop up from time to time, just alot of walking between 'em! I hit like 3 different areas that night, found a bit of clad, what may be some old lead bale seals and plenty of junk but the best was the cool employee badge. It's in great shape with plenty of detail but I can't find anything about it or the company represented by the initials "T&LDD CO" haven't found squat on it so I'm hoping somebody here might know more or have a good resource to check. No idea if it might be from a local company of if it migrated here from elsewhere. Looks kinda like a chauffeur's badge or something,like that but it could just as easily be from a delivery driver, hotel workers or something like that. It has no maker's mark on the back that IO can see and looks like it had a single pin in the center that broke off.

Anybody seen one like it before?

Now, how cool would it be to find out where it came from AND who it actually belonged too? Yeah....... Man I love this stuff!

DSC_3792.JPG DSC_3793.JPG DSC_3794.JPG DSC_3795.JPG DSC_3796.JPG DSC_3798.JPG DSC_3799.JPG DSC_3801.JPG DSC_3803.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Doc, Your very cool badge may be for a "T. & L. Dry Dock Company," shipbuilders or refitters, location unknown but probably researchable. It appears similar to metal employee badges issued during WW1 and WW2 to help curb espionage. I "kind of" base that hypothesis on you finding it alongshore! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! That is great! Thanks for the lead, I'll see what else I can find!

Hey Doc, Your very cool badge may be for a "T. & L. Dry Dock Company," shipbuilders or refitters, location unknown but probably researchable. It appears similar to metal employee badges issued during WW1 and WW2 to help curb espionage. I "kind of" base that hypothesis on you finding it alongshore! Sub 8-)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find Doc and I think Sub maybe on it!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS THERE DOC...

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, no luck down the dry-dock road so far. You just never know what will pop up around here.....or where the heck it comes from......so much traffic passing trough the mouth of the Chesapeake for centuries..............

huntnva

Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Founded in 1884 in Hoboken NJ, bought out by Todd shipbuilders in 1915...may have kept the name T&L for awhile after. Very cool find!

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOLVED! :icon_thumright:

Thank you Subterranean and huntnva! Think you guys nailed it!

" In 1915, Todd and several associates purchased Robins Dry Dock and Repair Co., the Tietjen & Lang Dry Dock Company of Hoboken, New Jersey, and Seattle Construction and Dry Dock Company, located in Seattle, Washington. With these companies, Todd formed the William H. Todd Corporation a year later, marking the formal beginning of Todd Shipyards' rise to the top of the ship building industry in the United States. "

http://www.company-histories.com/Todd-Shipyards-Corporation-Company-History.html

Todd Shipyard, Washington| Asbestos Exposure and Mesothelioma Cancer

Tietjen and Lang Dry Dock Company sawmill, Weehawken, N.J., March 2, 1917. Photographed for G.E. Tilt & Company. :: New-York Historical Society, Photographs of New York City and Beyond

A bunch of other links too, mostly dealing with lawsuits, many from around 30's-40's when there were some big shipyard strikes going on in NJ and NY at the time. Looks like they hit a wave of mesothelioma lawsuits that eventfully took it's toll on the company, they were later bought by Vigor Industrial in 2010. Great to be able to find out more about it! Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread