Beginner looking to Purchase 2 Tesoro Detectors

spacelooper

Oct 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am new to detecting.My wife and I feel it is something we would both enjoy doing together. I have looked at MD's pretty heavily over the last week online etc and have come to the conclusion that I am really drawn to the Tesoro machines. I would need to purchase 2 MD's so the initial investment would be a bit more than if just buying for myself. Since I would just be starting in the hobby I am uncertain as to what I would mostly be hunting etc. I love the idea of relics , but also get excited about coins and gold... my wife would love to find jewelry as well.. we are open to anything in the hunt... we really just love the artifact idea and the backyard archeology of it all. I was originally drawn to the Silver Umax but now seem to be leaning towards the Vaquero... I have also read great things about the Compadre. If you were buying 2 units and wanted to get 2 different ones... are there any suggestions out there by veteran users of these machines? I was also curious about the coils.... either stock or add on.

thanks... I am really looking forward to learning more about this hobby.
thanks,
Todd

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! My choice would be a Compadre, and a Vaquero. Both are machines you'll always keep, even when you get in to the hobby with both feet. They are light, very sensitive, and get good depth on coins and jewelry. 8" coil on the Compadre, and the 11" x 8" coil on the Vaq. Big Gold! :skullflag:

'

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compadre and Vaquero would be good choices... So would Compadre and Outlaw.. ^_^

OP
OP
S

spacelooper

Oct 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which coil would be best on the Compadre? The 5.75" or 8"?

thanks

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which coil would be best on the Compadre? The 5.75" or 8"?

thanks

Depends on how trashy your search spots are, and if you plan on searching near play equipment and metal poles.

8" for general use, as it covers more area with each swing, and has a little greater depth.
In heavier trash (lots of bottle caps, foil, pulltabs, etc.) and for searching around metal poles, the 5.75" can't be beat.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Depends on how trashy your search spots are, and if you plan on searching near play equipment and metal poles.

8" for general use, as it covers more area with each swing, and has a little greater depth.
In heavier trash (lots of bottle caps, foil, pulltabs, etc.) and for searching around metal poles, the 5.75" can't be beat.

I have used both smaller and the 8" coil.
There is absolutely no difference between any Compadres regarding this little superpower.
They all double beep just as easily as any other, (triple beep on shallow targets even if they are leaning on a big pole), if you get the swing speed right.
They are all exactly the same when called on to do this task.

Last edited:

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Vaquero for relic hunting and the Cibola for coin shooting. If I were in your shoes, I would get the silver Umax, and the Cibola for ease of use, then in a year or two when you and your wife have mastered the sounds that makes tesoro famous, you could use one of those that you picked out originally as a back-up, and buy a Vaquero. I plan on getting a silver Umax maybe for Christmas and having that one as the "family back-up". my wife uses the Cibola and I use the vaquero.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good suggestions, i have very little to add....except for the price vs. Value of the machines listed, i would by new from a dealer and will have Tesoro's lifetime warranty! Nothing like breaking the seal on a brand new Tesoro!!!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to add that the compadre is definitely at the top of the list.
The second one you pick is more preference.
I have all the Tesoro suggested besides the silver Micromax.
I like them all for different reasons.
As for modern I like the outlaw for general purpose and coin and jewelry hunting. Closest to a bandido II micromax which is regarded as one of the best ever made. When you figure out all the button can do its a pretty fancy little machine and the price for the 3 coil one is about the same as a vaquero and you will have many coils for different areas.
I consider it the best value.
You will most likely end up with many detectors, but the outlaw (and bandido II) are the only ones I've found that can disc out a dime but not a quarter, a dime and quarter but not a copper penny, and can disc out dime quarter and copper but still beep on silver. I was very surprised when I saw this.
Let us know what you choose!!!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My son lost interest in the hobby already so I have a Garrett Ace 300 7x10 PRo Concentric on my hands I can use this first other then my Vaq 11x8 DD, but also have not ruled out the Compadre 8" donut here yet so may still purchase one.

I have been reading other posts on the Fisher F22, the Teknetics 4000 and the Euro Tech Pro vs the Ace 300i and it is 8KHz vs the Compadre 12KHz frequence, but looking at what detector responds better with the three things mentioned below if anyone wants to compare the two feel free to list the detector that you think would win over the other.

I would like to still purchase a Compadre but I am in need of a better pinpointer first before another detector, so if someone can add to what I have mentioned I would feel better.:notworthy:

I realize there would be no problem owning a second Tesoro as I will someday, either the Compadre or Tejon would be a good choice.

Depth
Recovery
Seperation

Regards

Last edited:

filthylucre59

Nov 15, 2014
daytona beach
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark,whites dual field,whites mx sport
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you're near any beach,water or even woods and fields my go to detector is the Tesoro Sand Shark,but the whole line of Tesoros' is pretty awesome.I met a fella in Miami Beach who travels to Europe frequently and uses the Compadre exclusively everywhere he goes.Very light and very sensitive on small gold jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread