Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are just using it for home defense and target practice I would go for a full sized 9mm pistol. The 9mm will keep down the cost to target shoot (though all ammo is ridiculous any more) and still be a fine round for home defense. And the full size frame and long barrel will help keep you accurate. I would personally save an extra 200 and buy a used M&P, Glock 17 or Beretta 92. I've heard of a few people using the Sigma's, apparently they are a Glock clone so might treat you alright. I would avoid the Makarov just because there aren't as many ammo options for 9x18 makarov.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taurus judge, 410, bird shoot ,double ot buck, 45 long colt 5 shot best of all worlds. Cowboy loads are still cheap.

OP
OP
H

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the colts 1911s but a bit pricey for me right now im leaning towards the s&w sd40 at the moment

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Tough to get a good buy on any gun right now. Check around and search until you get something that won't break the bank. Make sure you can readily get ammo for it. Plenty of good deals here, but don't know about the Carolinas. Suspect that gun shows, or smaller gun stores in a city might make you a good deal. Maybe the classified in a big city paper. Good luck, keep looking and you'll find something you like...

Guns Blazing

Jan 23, 2013
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a glock 23 for $550, or police trade in glocks for $350. You can get a Springfield xdm 45 for $600 on sale. You could get a FNP for around $500. Honestly $300 is a little bit low to be getting a "quality" handgun.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Regardless of what you buy HavokSouls - my first stop would be at my LGS. It doesn't hurt to spend your money locally and help your LGS stay in business. Also, you get to see how your future puppy feels, etc. You also have a place that will address any concerns "after you purchase." Now personally, I prefer revolvers (I am an old fart and learned on revolvers).

OP
OP
H

HavokSouls

Dec 1, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of what you buy HavokSouls - my first stop would be at my LGS. It doesn't hurt to spend your money locally and help your LGS stay in business. Also, you get to see how your future puppy feels, etc. You also have a place that will address any concerns "after you purchase." Now personally, I prefer revolvers (I am an old fart and learned on revolvers).

I like revolvers also I am mostly buying to start collecting handguns anyway

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I would check your local sporting goods store and check for ammo first. It doesn't do any good to buy a 9mm or 45 if you can't load it with something.
A month ago, my wife bought a 22 pistol for a birthday present for one of the grandkids, she's been complaining every day since, no ammo available in this area. lol

Best of luck,
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread