Best places to look?

newport74

Aug 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx, Garrett PP,
I have permission to hunt a farm property that dates to 1810 and some belive it to be older than that. I have been over quite a bit of the 6 acres that are left of the original farm. and have found some great individual items. These include a king george copper US calvery items and early 1800's coins.
My guess is there is probally a cache on the property but only base that on nothing other than people back then buried money and valuables for safe keeping.

My question is where are the best places to look. Much of the property is covered in woods . Land that as recently as the 70's 80's this was all open land.
The originial house stands and is lived in.... the bank barn walls still stand but most of the rest of it have fallen down. I know the obvious places like the garden, chicken coop , within sight of the kitchen / bedroom windows . But I am looking for some of the less obvious or overlooked spots or signs that somthing maybe buried....

I have a couple of places where I think the privy may have been but havent persued that any farther
Thanks in advance for looking and any help/advice you can offer

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You listed most of the man made spots, but what about the natural markers like prominent rocks Large trees or large stumps? Get there early when the sun is rising and you will see low shadows on the ground from old pathes that were used. Maybe one leading to that post hole bank. Forget the outhouse and well, both much overrated, but perhaps an old storm or root cellar that was seperate from the house. Good luck. Frank STILL LIFE-0002-2.jpg

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on your hunt....if you can find the clothesline or where it was might also be worth a shot....

Regards + HH

Bill

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might also look over the property from the viewpoint of the largest bedroom area.
See if there are any natural (i.e hilltop) or man-made markers visible from there.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your time and search all the land including near the house and maybe the cellar if it is make of dirt. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions