Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this points to the reason why the "stock" coils are just that - stock coils. The manufacturers have deemed, and mainly rightly so, which sizes get you the most bang for the buck.

I know people who have purchased 3-5 coils for a single machine, then settled on one only with the others collecting dust. I have seen some coils big as trash can lids!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think this points to the reason why the "stock" coils are just that - stock coils. The manufacturers have deemed, and mainly rightly so, which sizes get you the most bang for the buck.

I know people who have purchased 3-5 coils for a single machine, then settled on one only with the others collecting dust. I have seen some coils big as trash can lids!

Yeah smoke looks like the 15” might be going bye bye

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't bought a extra coil yet, to bad of shape to use it now anyway. The six seems better for what i do but having used a 4" on my tesoro i don't think i'd use it enough.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bigger coils do cover alot more ground but if theres trash you will get multiple signals also they will go deeper on bigger targets but you will lose depth on smaller targets because the way the coil works . Ive had the big coil and many others I know have also they can be great depending on wwhat and where your hunting plus you need to ground balance them at half or lower sensitivity..HH Truth

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bigger coils do cover alot more ground but if theres trash you will get multiple signals also they will go deeper on bigger targets but you will lose depth on smaller targets because the way the coil works . Ive had the big coil and many others I know have also they can be great depending on wwhat and where your hunting plus you need to ground balance them at half or lower sensitivity..HH Truth

Where you you average your sensitivity?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2 your information is spot on regarding big coils in general but I have to beg to differ with you on your ground balance statement. I cannot speak for all other detectors (though I have owned many different models from most of the major manufacturers), but as far as Equinox is concerned - there is no need to lower (or raise, for that matter) sensitivity to properly ground balance ANY of the Equinox accessory coils. This is not stated in any Equinox instructions or in books or online information officially endorsed by Minelab (including Andy Sabsich's latest book which contains settings recommendations by yours truly).

Also, if you think about it, this would not make sense for the Equinox design specifically because that would mean tracking ground balance would only work properly with the big coil if you were operating at low sensitivity and that is simply just not the case.

Now, I know that under certain conditions, manually setting up ground balance independent of what is indicated by the manual, auto or tracking GB algorithms (called biasing) can be advantageous in some situations, and I plan to do some detailed testing at some point to see how different manual ground balance settings affect certain targets under certain conditions, but sensitivity adjustments to perform ground balancing are simply not required. GB should still get set properly even if you do lower sensitivity, so no harm done, I suppose, if you do this, but it is unnecessary and any time you can avoid unnecessarily tweaking settings means less of chance you will get the machine in a bad configuration requiring a reset.

Regarding big coil sensitivity on small targets, big coils do "lose" sensitivity on small targets in general. I have found, however, the Equinox 15" coil seems to suffer much less from this than most "big coils". I have recovered some tiny targets with the big coil including percussion caps and earring backs in low density target situations, so Minelab has done a pretty good job on the design of this coil preventing small target desensitization. However, like most big coils, it does suffer from target overload desensitization in dense target situations (or high mineralization) so in those cases I would opt for one of the smaller coils.

HTH

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring to the AT series and the after market Nels ect which require GB at 1/2 sensitivity I do have the Nox but not the 15 coil for it I like the stock size its pretty decent size . Yes the Nox is a new one for me and you are much more knowledgable for sure.. I l;ove my Nox it is very deep and love the unmistakable high tone for silver. Ive been in a silver slump for a good while so havent been detecting much latley every dog needs a bone once in a while. lol Thanks for the info on the coil for the nox.. HH my Friend. Tommy

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy, I like the stock for Equinox too. Thanks for clarifying on the half sensitivty ground balance. I had an AT Pro, but only used the stock coil on it. It never quite caught on with me, but it did perform ok. There is a reason it was one of the most popular mid- range detectors for several years. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread