Big gold, silver and more!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
In a small part of a big old park, a site I never suspected had any action in the past, I found several things that convinced me I was wrong.
It was near the end of my hunt so I didn't spend a lot of time in this area, after I found the gold I left, but I will return because I hope there is much more.
First I found part of a solid silver spoon, then a 1916 wheatie showed up.
After a few beaver tails appeared I figure I better start thinking jewelry and not just old coins and not 5 minutes later, disguised as a tab signal, gold arose from the bosom of mother earth and I was done for the day.
Can't wait to go back because who knows what else could be hiding.
8.8 grams of 14k, no way is it going in for melt because it is worth much more as jewelry.
My final surprise of the day was I showed it to the wife thinking she would just love to keep and wear it but she said it was too big and gaudy.
You heard right...the gold was too big for her to wear.
Still in shock about that.
All kinds of surprises when you do this hobby, both in and nowhere near the dirt.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1447802897757.jpg
    PicsArt_1447802897757.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 111
  • PicsArt_1447803002048.jpg
    PicsArt_1447803002048.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 111
  • PicsArt_1447802862678.jpg
    PicsArt_1447802862678.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 108
  • PicsArt_1447802948215.jpg
    PicsArt_1447802948215.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 111
  • PicsArt_1447802927309.jpg
    PicsArt_1447802927309.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 21

IndianaHunter27

Oct 28, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Congratulations on that massive gold! That site definitely has some age to it, I'll be looking forward to see more finds from that park!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! What a beautiful pendant!! I guess pendant not a medal, anyway congratulations and HH

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That gold religious pendant is awesome, must have been a huge thrill to see that!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling the big gold. Finds like that stoke the fire of the MD passion. I am looking forward to seeing future posts of whet you dig at that site.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on finding Gold! Good luck on future hunts at that spot!

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks all!
This us a big park dedicated in the 20's and I have found some great things all over this place.
I have hunted the more popular and common sites, entrances, obvious picnic areas and so on, still digging up the odd great old coin and other targets in those areas but I also walk around when I get bored and look for the more out of the way places or areas where it doesn't look like much action took place in the past...but might have.
I believe I found just such a place here.
Not level, kind of hilly and you would never think this was the kind of area people would spread out blankets, picnic and hang out but evidently they did sometime in the past because they don't do that now.
It is a relatively small area sitting between two frisbee golf tees and not even on a common pathway the golfers would walk.
I wish I had a time machine and could go back and look at old sites like this and see what actually went on but I don't.
The next best thing is to wander around and try to figure out the history of a place by digging the buried metal, trash included, and use our detective skills to come up with logical scenarios.
I know hunters have scoured this park since detectors came on the market but I have a few things going for me here that gives me a slight advantage.
One, even before the course was built most hunters probably concentrated on the more obvious areas when they hunted because this site doesn't appear to be even cherry picked.
Two, this park is loaded with highly mineralized soil, trash galore and iron big and small both shallow and deep.
None of these good targets were more than 5" deep but they weren't exactly solid dig me signals even though they were relatively shallow so even if hunters were here they might not have known what they were swinging over.
Back in Kansas soil any one of these would be for sure targets to dig and just about any detector could have found them.
Here, anything past the 3-4" range gets pretty skewed and jumpy and getting past 5" successfully with any useful info or positive indications is usually a dream.
I believe I have worked hard enough in the past few months using the great F70 to have cracked that baffling code and I am finding old coins and other targets consistently past 5" into the 6-8" range.
If all this is true I might have just found a small but hopefully rich virgin site.
Raining today but tomorrow I will go back and see if I am correct.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck digger! Keep posting your finds from this park!

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
LOL!
I will.
The people in my life love me but I don't think any of them quite understand this digging in the dirt stuff.
If I can find even a wheatie everyone else missed at 6" in this very difficult soil under these conditions I feel that is something to brag about because I put in much time and many hours of experimentation to learn to be able to do just that.
Most people won't understand the feeling but I know you guys do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread