Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice Indeed.
What type are they?
I'm just doing my berry patch now and transplanting 125-4yr old that are in 3 gallon pots.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your beautiful blueberry farm..I was told years ago that they needed a pollinator And I made the mistake to fence them in the side of the vegetable garden.last fall I dug approx five plants and moved them and they survived the move and are doing well..they are over 10 yrs old and to be honest I don’t remember what variety they are
I tried the black deer netting last year to cover them from the birds but it’s just a mess so I have to try something different

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj. I bought the berries at a local nursery years ago and forgotten their variety..I think that there are different types for different growing zones..Not sure if you will have problems with the birds if you do please let me know how you protect them and this morning I saw a deer near them too

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Billb, an idea is to plant more than you need to allow for the critters consumption.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are a lot of blue berry farms north of me here in Florida. They have U-pickem fields and it's kind of fun going there and picking them. No netting on them so I guess birds aren't too much of a problem. Squirrels in my mangoes, well the little buggers got to eat. I do feed the rascals peanuts every evening!

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WD. Great idea to plant more ...it seems that the big farms spray their plants to keep the critters away and tonight I ride the John Deere tractor over to the garden and two deer are over by the plants too..just can’t win

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
newnan man it must be so nice to feed the squirrels in your gardens and love to see the parrots and your plumeria trees

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WD. Great idea to plant more ...it seems that the big farms spray their plants to keep the critters away and tonight I ride the John Deere tractor over to the garden and two deer are over by the plants too..just can’t win

Was just looking at the patch last night and the Haskaps are turning now, so that means the birds will be taking interest.
Then again I might get away with it for a bit as the berry patch restaurant isn't open yet for fruit so there's no interest-"yet" :laughing7:

I just got my ground cloth in on Friday-so it's a plan to start covering the plants up very soon.
Too much work has gone into the project just to watch the feathered friends take them.
At an large organic farm we pick at they were putting up the netting across the whole patch.
They said it took 3 days, 4 people, and then one year it didn't happen and the bird damage was minimum and didn't matter.
Now the Haskaps were a treat to the birds and wiped them out at a few patches if not covered up.

OP
OP
billb

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj. Hi if you have a few moments what is ground cloth..for the blueberries last year I used the black deer netting and it’s just a mess..the branches grow thru it and the birds get in and pretty much keeps me out..perhaps I might need to put up some poles higher around them and be able to move the fabric easily somehow

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! i tried planted some and they kept dying

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread