tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I naturally get sunflowers growing in my yard. This and one other are the first to bloom. Their neat to have as they attract the arriving seasonal goldfinches. This I took with a smart phone moments ago. I think sunflowers are also saying with their blossoms, they'll be little day times below the 80s now, as the heat is on. Gonna be in the 90s today. This plant is also the tallest at 6'.4" and the blossom is 5" across, by my tape measure.

Attachments

• IMG_20190703_075625.jpg
    IMG_20190703_075625.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We plant them every year. They get about a foot tall and the deer come by and eat the tops off every one. I guess I could fence them off but that's a lot of fence. We love sunflowers though. Can't help but smile when you see them. Nice picture. Thanks!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These grow up naturally and kinda move around from season to season around the back yard. One year they'll be on the north side and the next they all be on the south side. One things for sure is they require no tending to. I'm not much of a green thumb kinda person. My wife wishes I was, but I tell her then go ahead and hang around the Walmart garden section and maybe you'll find the perfect mate. My back yard is setup for dogs not guests.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool photo!:icon_thumleft:

That sunflower is as tall as me!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pic! Last year, my mom and dad had a field of them across the street. The farmer planted them to help the bee population. Pretty cool that they grow naturally in your backyard. I should try and get some started here. I tried once before, but, like you, I do not have a green thumb.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic! Last year, my mom and dad had a field of them across the street. The farmer planted them to help the bee population. Pretty cool that they grow naturally in your backyard. I should try and get some started here. I tried once before, but, like you, I do not have a green thumb.
Well then these wild sunflowers might be just what you need. They really pop up in loose tilled surface soil. As you mentioned they really do attract a lot of bees and not just honey bees. I see all kinds of different bees when these all have flowers.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive planted seeds 3 years in a row no sunflowers for me

Top Member Reactions