Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I was wondering if anybody knew anything about a bounty hunter big bud. I called the local pawn shop and I guess they have one for $80. After some further research I see that this was made 30 years ago. Obviously technology wasn't as good back then, but I also hear that some of those vintage metal detectors do pretty darn good. My plan is to go in there and explain it to him that it's very old and tried to talk them down to 40 or $50. Figured I'd pop in and get your guys's opinions first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I was wondering if anybody knew anything about a bounty hunter big bud. I called the local pawn shop and I guess they have one for $80. After some further research I see that this was made 30 years ago. Obviously technology wasn't as good back then, but I also hear that some of those vintage metal detectors do pretty darn good. My plan is to go in there and explain it to him that it's very old and tried to talk them down to 40 or $50. Figured I'd pop in and get your guys's opinions first

30 years old.... i would offer 20 bucks and hope it works. then hang it on my wall. But i'm no expert, I'm sure one of the old timers can chime in and tell you about that machines capabilities.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They said the lowest they would go was $60 :(. I couldn't pay that for a 30 year old machine unless somebody chimed in and convinced me otherwise. I would rather spend the extra $130 and get a whites coinmaster

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted a good coin shooting detector since I already have the GM1000, but I couldn't pass that price up. Thank God for wives and estate sales!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The BIG BUD was a great machine just needed two or three battery changes for a 8 or 10 hrs of swinging.....

riverbandit

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
fisher aquanaut,mine lab sovereign XS.Tesoro silver sabre.Tesoro cibola,bounty hunter big bud series,Nokta MAKRO SIMPLEX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
30 years old.... i would offer 20 bucks and hope it works. then hang it on my wall. But i'm no expert, I'm sure one of the old timers can chime in and tell you about that machines capabilities.
Il

riverbandit

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2010
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
fisher aquanaut,mine lab sovereign XS.Tesoro silver sabre.Tesoro cibola,bounty hunter big bud series,Nokta MAKRO SIMPLEX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I own a Bounty hunter big bud. I bought it new in the I'm guessing late 80scearly 90s? This detector set on coins only function is hot on nickles.ive hunted school yards that I knew was picked over and found all the nickles everyone else missed.I found deep large cents on old homesteads along with some silver coins an tokens.i can't say anything negative about a detectorvthat finds coins without digging too much junk. It hits nickles with a good repeatable signal at all angled sweeps. Sometimes when getting an iffy signal I dig it up anyways and found the signal to be junk.ive been detecting since 1973 using the old lunch box detectors.Ive owned garret,tesoro,bounty hunter, fisher and minelab.I still use the bounty hunter big bud.If I'm water hunting I pull out the 1280x which Is a great detector.Every detector has its own characteristics .Deciding what detector I use depends on where I'm hunting.I found many coins with a Tesoro Compadre with 5 and a half inch coil. Yes I stomp down briars around old homesteads to dig where others bypass. 90% of the coins I find are not very deep 2-7 inch range.i don't live near any beaches.I prefer woods hunting and old homesteads.If I'm cach hunting I use a minelab sovereign xs with a 11 inch COIL. Zinc canning jar lids hit loud at 12 inches and deeper with no problem.Ive hunted the same sites over and over again and still making good finds.I usually cherry pick a site first using some discrimination but hunt in all metal on those 150 year plus old sites and dig up everything. Put that Big bud to work it won't let you down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread