JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a walk which is a normal activity for me as I walk about 3 miles almost daily being out in the country. I had noticed MID(my districts irrigation body) had drained the canals. Guess where I ended up walking the canals looking for possible neat things that got washed in. These irrigation ditches have been here since the 1900s and sometimes I find old bottles and things like that. I never meant to look for treasure but was easily distracted and ended up walking the ditches looking for stuff. I find myself always looking down looking for stuff and most the time not meaning to. I wonder who else finds themselves doing stuff like this lol.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a 300acre permission and they told me many times I would got along with the Uncle of the farm as he was always looking down.
I got permission to the farm next door 650 acres.
First thing the farmer said oh you would of got along so well with my best friend, he also was always looking down.
Same guy both were talking about.
He had a nice collection of points and other Native tools. From the fields.
I'm still looking down trying to get one myself.
Best of luck on the canal walks, have you detected them?

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 300acre permission and they told me many times I would got along with the Uncle of the farm as he was always looking down.
I got permission to the farm next door 650 acres.
First thing the farmer said oh you would of got along so well with my best friend, he also was always looking down.
Same guy both were talking about.
He had a nice collection of points and other Native tools. From the fields.
I'm still looking down trying to get one myself.
Best of luck on the canal walks, have you detected them?
No I've not detected them, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. It's nice to eyeball the occasional thing but there is so much modern trash in them. Mind you I rarely find anything of interest in them I just look hoping lol. The best I found was a whole MID key ring that opens all my districts MID areas, my mother found a gold religious pendent, a few bottles but nothing super exciting.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of years ago I took She Who Must Be Obeyed down to a shopping center in northern PA that is something like a mall but the stores are in a plaza. Waiting for the shops to open I saw that the parking lot was bordered by sedimental strata about 20 feet high. I started looking for fossils, because, fossils. This went swimmingly until the mall cops showed up and said it was too dangerous for me to be climbing around on the rocks. I think there is a permanent mark on the forehead of The Little Woman from her facepalm.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people are just born with a natural curiosity.I love dry creek beds and in the summer when the rivers are really low.Kind of similar to your canal walks.I find some interesting things,to me,but nothing of import. Shoot,when I go squirrel hunting,I,m looking down more than in the trees for squirrels. Love animal tracks too.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of years ago I took She Who Must Be Obeyed down to a shopping center in northern PA that is something like a mall but the stores are in a plaza. Waiting for the shops to open I saw that the parking lot was bordered by sedimental strata about 20 feet high. I started looking for fossils, because, fossils. This went swimmingly until the mall cops showed up and said it was too dangerous for me to be climbing around on the rocks. I think there is a permanent mark on the forehead of The Little Woman from her facepalm.
Creaky,you should see my wife,s forehead after 48 years of being married to me!!!!!:notworthy:
:tongue3::tongue3::tongue3::happy3::happy3::happy3:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to tie flys and jigs,kept trash bags in the trunk to bag up good looking road kill to take home and skin for the fur and hair.I,ll pick up something out of the ditch if it has any scrap value too. A couple of the causes of those palm shaped depressions in my wife,s forehead.:laughing7:
:laughing7::tongue3::tongue3::tongue3::tongue3::tongue3::tongue3::happy3::happy3::happy3::happy3::happy3:

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol so something I'd of ended up doing. Just like when the sand storm stripped all the top soil from around here and I walked around the fairground with my head down for hours finding stuff. Probably looked silly to those passing by lol.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people are just born with a natural curiosity.I love dry creek beds and in the summer when the rivers are really low.Kind of similar to your canal walks.I find some interesting things,to me,but nothing of import. Shoot,when I go squirrel hunting,I,m looking down more than in the trees for squirrels. Love animal tracks too.
I when I was a kid was also lifting every rock possible looking for critters lol who am I kidding I still do that lol. I guess my mind is just wired to find stuff in general.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I when I was a kid was also lifting every rock possible looking for critters lol who am I kidding I still do that lol. I guess my mind is just wired to find stuff in general.
In 1973 I was in part of an exercise where we flew from Camp LeJeune to 29 Palms for a 3 week maneuver in the desert there.I was fascinated by the desert and all the things to be found.At first glance it seems lifeless,but look closer and there,s all sorts of creepy crawlies,neat rocks,stuff from WWII,fossils,just endless stuff for an old Arkie. I don,t know how many times I heard my CO ask where CPL.Campbell,s got off to now.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1973 I was in part of an exercise where we flew from Camp LeJeune to 29 Palms for a 3 week maneuver in the desert there.I was fascinated by the desert and all the things to be found.At first glance it seems lifeless,but look closer and there,s all sorts of creepy crawlies,neat rocks,stuff from WWII,fossils,just endless stuff for an old Arkie. I don,t know how many times I heard my CO ask where CPL.Campbell,s got off to now.
Lol I completely understand. I have a habit of getting sidetracked when I'm out and about and want to explore or find things. It's either critters or the hunt for treasure that gets me lol. Most people run from critters me I run towards them.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m just as curious at 70 as I was at 7.The day I lose that I,ll know It,s time to hang it up.Still just a kid at heart.
Well I'm 30 and still catching bugs and critters lol. I get poked fun at sometimes for it lol but it's okay or in other instances get to ambitious like once instance lifted a huge rock in a tide pool in hopes of something neat under it and it slipped and basically smash my finger into oblivion lol not fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions