Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: Between about 1810-1813, British makers carried on producing buttons for export at close to their usual output rates, initially hoping for a resumption of normal trade, and then hoping for a short war. The accumulated stockpile of buttons was ultimately dumped on the New York auction market in 1816 and successful bidders then distributed them throughout America. It was openly stated (hopefully) in British Parliament that the dumping might “strangle American industry [button manufacture] in its cradle”. Many of those buttons (and subsequent production after the war ended) intentionally had no origin backmark which would identify them as British, to avoid them being rejected by those with anti-British sentiments. If the word “colour/color” is included as part of the quality indication, the spelling gives them away as British or American origin.
I agree Over the past 30 years of relic hunting in Virginia I've dug a few hundred flat buttons , not a single one had an origin listed in the backmark.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's a chart click to enlarge. look at G
I'm a little late to the party. Thanks for that button shank I.D. chart. I didn't know anything like that existed. I printed a copy for my records.
Happy hunting,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread