Brass rivets with flower & star designs

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Earlier this year I found several brass harness rivets that had either 8-petal flower designs or 5-pointed stars on the rivet heads. This seemed to be unusual according to several members. Today I found this chunk with 4 rivets; one flower design and 3 stars. Hopefully they show well when zoomed. I wonder if they were made this way or if the design was transferred/stamped into the head when the rivet was seated and crushed. The design could have been relieved into the anvil surface. If that’s the case, I’m not sure why one strap would have 2 designs. Any info appreciated. Thank you for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpeg
    IMG_1603.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Earlier this year I found several brass harness rivets that had either 8-petal flower designs or 5-pointed stars on the rivet heads. This seemed to be unusual according to several members. Today I found this chunk with 4 rivets; one flower design and 3 stars. Hopefully they show well when zoomed. I wonder if they were made this way or if the design was transferred/stamped into the head when the rivet was seated and crushed. The design could have been relieved into the anvil surface. If that’s the case, I’m not sure why one strap would have 2 designs. Any info appreciated. Thank you for looking.
Wish I had more knowledge on the subject however that is one great find!! Nice and ornate. Congrats!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is the other side the same?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry, didn’t post rear shot. No, the back looks like a normal “set” rivet to me.
2 piece rivet.
Must of been a bit more fancy than the standard "pack rivets" we normally recover.
Cool that you recovered part of the strap/harness as well.
I have only found leather attached a few times, and usually from a bush site.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I find quite a bit of old leather. But it is always quite crumbly. Usually the riveted sections remain. I’m guessing that the moisture has a tougher time where the leather is tightly sandwiched and held together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread