Brick House Hunt V & VI - The African Queen - Digging Whispers and Iffys

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brick House Hunt V & VI - The African Queen - Digging Whispers and Iffy's

I felt it best that I leave town yesterday since the village yard sale was in full swing. (I rather fly under the radar).
I hit a few schools about 20 miles from here in Elyria and pulled $3.18 in clad, the oldest coin being a 1961 Canadian penny :crybaby2:

I went home and had a nice supper, was reading posts on T-Net while the wife was on the phone with her dad.
After reading about all the nice finds, I got the bug up my arss to get out so I would not be skunked.
(Skunked is not even digging a wheat).
So I left for the Brick house at 1830 hrs (hunt V)
I hit the lot still going in my second direction. The permission has been amazing. :headbang: I only pulled 50 cents, but I scored another silver (1945-P war nickle) :thumbsup: and 3 wheats, 1918, 19? and a 1944. I also pulled a 1945 Canadian cent.
It was nice to pull a silver and 3 wheats to keep it from being a skunk kinda day...

Today I went back for hunt VI. Still digging whispers and iffy's. On my 1st pass in the grid I found a coin spill just under the surface, 3 zincs and a dime (under a Holley Bush). I ended up hunting for about 3 hours. I then went next door for a few minutes as the sky was turning dark grey and I was hoping to pull an IHP.

When I arrived home I began cleaning my finds. As I was cleaning the coins with water and a tooth brush, I thought for a moment I pulled a V-Nickle. Not the case though...:BangHead: It is a bronze coin and turned out to be 1953 South African 1/4 penny Farthing.

What the heck was that coin doing at this site? ???

Total keepers from the Brick House are as follows:

1812 5 Frans, 1 rosie, 3 mercs, 3 war nickles, 58 wheats (1916 - 1958), and the 1953 1/4 penny Farthing.

Pics are in sequence beginning with yesterday's finds.

20150620_210957.jpg

the upper portion of finds are from the schools

20150620_211050.jpg

4 keepers from hunt V

20150620_211225.jpg

I forgot to mention the toy dime is on 3/8 in diameter and very thin. The F75LTDSE detected it at 7.5 inches without boost. It was an iffy signal. Man I love this detector!!!! :lips:

20150621_152944.jpg

The finds above the pocket knife are from the Brick House, below are from the yard next door

20150621_153016.jpg

A close up of the 1953 farthing and a button I pulled today.

Thanks for reading, Happy Father's Day, and hope you got out to swing the coil today.

Upvote 12

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that site has been good to you :thumbsup:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still wonder how that Napoleon 5 Franc got there. I can't help but think you're hitting the tip of silver hoard buried just a bit too deep for a detector's range. Maybe worth a little trench dig in the area a few feet deep, sift through some of the deeper soil just to be sure? :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still wonder how that Napoleon 5 Franc got there. I can't help but think you're hitting the tip of silver hoard buried just a bit too deep for a detector's range. Maybe worth a little trench dig in the area a few feet deep, sift through some of the deeper soil just to be sure? :thumbsup:

I went over that area a few times in boost process, was hoping for more early coins. I don't think she'd appreciate a trench in her front yard though... I even ran my detector over the old slab sidewalks hoping to get a hit. I have been known to did horizontal under those to pull targets. The last time I dug horizontal I pulled a 4 inch in diameter hunk of steel about 1/4" thick that has been under the slab for well over 150 years.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I should take a pic of all the trash targets I dug. It's amazing how much metal can be in someone's yard..

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think posting the trash too is a good idea. In fact I wish it were common practice with all posts here so people get an idea of how much you had to dig to find what you did.

Just dug a toy dime myself about a week ago -- thought it was a 1/2 real or something when I dug it :laughing7:. Only good thing is those toy dimes are probably worth more than a common silver dime. Congrats on your finds brother and nice job in that yard!

I think I should take a pic of all the trash targets I dug. It's amazing how much metal can be in someone's yard..

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I was just sitting here pondering your post. I should air test the detector in CL mode (Cache Mode) and see if I can gauge the range using the one coin, just in case, there's not a stack of them their in the ground. CL mode should detect a nice stack of 5 Frans coins at a good depth.

Won't hurt to try CL mode. :hello2: You know what I'll be doing this coming Saturday morning and where.

Last edited:

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely done LocoDigger! Too bad about the SA farthing, I had a similar instance last week when I dug a gold colored 1966 Austrian shilling. I saw round gold in the hole and my heart started pounding... then pulled it out and was like "GRRRRRR!" What was that doing in New Jersey?

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Bug

After reading about all the nice finds, I got the bug up my arss to get out so I would not be skunked.
I forgot to mention the toy dime is on 3/8 in diameter and very thin.
Nice hunts.
I prefer to not be under the radar as well. Detecting is like riding a moped, its real fun til your buddies see you riding one.:icon_scratch:
Every time I come here I get the bug and want to get out after seeing everyones elses finds. tnet motivates me....
Those toy dimes will fool ya, I have found a couple and think half-dime for about a second.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunts.
I prefer to not be under the radar as well. Detecting is like riding a moped, its real fun til your buddies see you riding one.:icon_scratch:
Every time I come here I get the bug and want to get out after seeing everyones elses finds. tnet motivates me....
Those toy dimes will fool ya, I have found a couple and think half-dime for about a second.

Just think, their are so many things worse than "the bug". I live for the hunt!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely done LocoDigger! Too bad about the SA farthing, I had a similar instance last week when I dug a gold colored 1966 Austrian shilling. I saw round gold in the hole and my heart started pounding... then pulled it out and was like "GRRRRRR!" What was that doing in New Jersey?

Yeppers, you see something and right away it's the BIG ONE... another bucket lister. Then KABOOM, you're brought back to reality...:censored:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work Loco! Congrats on a great Fathers Day hunt!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good work Loco! Congrats on a great Fathers Day hunt!

I agree with Brad... Good work!!

Here Water hunting old beaches that is the secret..dig all faints, the deepest will give you false reading until you are right up on them

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG - KEEP IT UP :icon_thumright:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a site. Still that big silver is amazing!!! Seems like something else has to be there are in the general area!!!! Looks like she isn't done giving up signals. Good luck finding the mother load!!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like your brick house has been good to you yet again!

great finds!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread