Brinks Driver

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I'm at my dump bank (loomis) and the head teller tells me a Brinks driver came in, in uniform asking to buy halves.. He said the driver told him he picked up a bag that he could see LOTS of Walkers and Bens in it and his boss said it was ok to switch them out.. So he was desperatly looking to buy halves. My dump bank wouldn't sell him any cause he didn't have an account, I'm hoping he didn't get any and had to send them in.. Regardless Monday I'm hitting every bank in town just in case..

So it's not the companies culling it's the drivers.. I can't blame him I'd do the same thing if I worked there. However It sucks that they allow him to do it and him being in uniform probably meant he was on the clock doing it..

Anyway I'm done venting my jealousy now..

Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I was against this theory a while back but, lately I have been wondering about this happening, I'm finding it strange that I find only 1 40 in a box and it is usually one that is dirty or the inexperienced would miss just glancing at it, this would explain some of these boxes, if they are beginning to do this it will not be good for us, but again, this would explain some of my 1 Silver boxes that I've been getting for a while, I have suspected this, but just didn't want to believe it, but I am beginning to change my mind now. HH, Maverick.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was against this theory a while back but, lately I have been wondering about this happening, I'm finding it strange that I find only 1 40 in a box and it is usually one that is dirty or the inexperienced would miss just glancing at it, this would explain some of these boxes, if they are beginning to do this it will not be good for us, but again, this would explain some of my 1 Silver boxes that I've been getting for a while, I have suspected this, but just didn't want to believe it, but I am beginning to change my mind now. HH, Maverick.

I agree with you. This same scenario has been happening a lot around here.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might explain my major skunk streaks since the beginning of the year :/

Although I dont pickup from brinks, but still if they are doing it, whos to say the other drivers arent peeking through the bags.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope we are all wrong about this but about 2 months ago the head teller at my best pick-up bank was told by the Brinks driver, to tell us (the guys that order halves, that would be myself and one other person) that we won't be finding anymore silver coins in the boxes because they are culling the silver. :dontknow:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only question is how/when are the drivers culling it? From what I know they cant open boxes or sealed bags- they have to take the boxes sealed straight into the banks and the sealed bags they get they have to take them straight into the processing facility and have to hand them over sealed-
Im not saying it isnt happening but to make me a believer id need a clear explanation of exactly when they have a chance to cull it

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the exception, not the rule but I have had weeks when all 20 of my boxes (from 7 different banks) where opened, and I have had weeks when there was no tape at all on any of the boxes, sometimes they were repacks and sometimes they weren't.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope we are all wrong about this but about 2 months ago the head teller at my best pick-up bank was told by the Brinks driver, to tell us (the guys that order halves, that would be myself and one other person) that we won't be finding anymore silver coins in the boxes because they are culling the silver. :dontknow:

Of course he wants to get the word out...it appears Mr. Brinks driver is tired of carrying boxes of coins around...and what better way to get out of work than to try to put a dent in the CRH industry by telling everybody that they are culling the AG...ddf

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course he wants to get the word out...it appears Mr. Brinks driver is tired of carrying boxes of coins around...and what better way to get out of work than to try to put a dent in the CRH industry by telling everybody that they are culling the AG...ddf
I thought of that, that could very well be, I hope you are right.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told something similar by a teller. They use Loomis.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if they sometimes have a chance to cull, I do believe they are actively trying to discourage us.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
how would they know that the "swapped bag" wasn't shorted? That wouldn't be very fair. besides, i'd have to assume he's doing all this while on his shift?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It can't be the drivers switching bags, cuz each bag has a tracking # that goes right back to the banks control log book, I know, I've seen at the bank, their logs with the bag #s. When I buy a bag from the bank, they have to do different entries as sold to customer ( not courier). Next time you buy a bag, take a look at the tracking , it's like UPS drivers delivery log. Cash control is very vital to the banking industry, not a fly-by-night, seat of the pants method. That's why Not All Tellers have full access to the vault.
Also, go back to my posting of Nov.6,2013; CRH Hobby Is Doomed; about Cummings Office Equipment (mfg of coin counting equipment), about how they have developed, manufacture, and sell machines that can now extract Silver.
I've been saying this for months now, appears its starting to trickle down to our hobby. Sure some silver may fall thru the cracks, just like Canadian coins find their way into dime boxes, that have missed the magnet extractor. Silver coins are NOT an endless commodity, sooner or later they will all be gone, just like everything else, like an endangered species.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can't be the drivers switching bags, cuz each bag has a tracking # that goes right back to the banks control log book, I know, I've seen at the bank, their logs with the bag #s. When I buy a bag from the bank, they have to do different entries as sold to customer ( not courier). Next time you buy a bag, take a look at the tracking , it's like UPS drivers delivery log. Cash control is very vital to the banking industry, not a fly-by-night, seat of the pants method. That's why Not All Tellers have full access to the vault.
Also, go back to my posting of Nov.6,2013; CRH Hobby Is Doomed; about Cummings Office Equipment (mfg of coin counting equipment), about how they have developed, manufacture, and sell machines that can now extract Silver.
I've been saying this for months now, appears its starting to trickle down to our hobby. Sure some silver may fall thru the cracks, just like Canadian coins find their way into dime boxes, that have missed the magnet extractor. Silver coins are NOT an endless commodity, sooner or later they will all be gone, just like everything else, like an endangered species.
Which model Cummings?

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are a finite number of silver coins that were minted, but it isn't as simple as saying all the coins that are in circulation have been found. Silver coins constantly keep getting put back into circulation by people that don't realize or don't care that they are silver. As for the coin counter that culls silver it is possible to do that, but I don't think that the coin sorting facilities would put them into operation. The coins at the sorting facility make their money by handling institutions' coins. It is not in their best interest to remove coins from the pile that banks give them. I think the counters that have magnets, excluders, etc are used at banks. The sorting facility wants to ship out whatever they take in otherwise it is going to be their loss. Look at all the magician coins, foreign coins, washers, cut down pennies, etc that you get in machine wrapped rolls. It is definitely in their best interest to not remove anything from what they get. Ultimately, there probably isn't enough silver in circulation for it to be worth their time as a corporation to sort it out and sell it. Time is money to them. They make their money by moving as much coin and cash as quickly as they can. I could be totally wrong, but that is just my opinion of how it works.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're still being dumped into circulation. Went to the bank Friday to pick up a box of cents. The teller had 14 rolls of halves someone had just turned in. I figured somebody's dump but she had $9 more in loose halves that I could see some shiny rims. Ended up pulling 24 40% and 1 90%. Best score in a while.
HH
enamel7

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
There has to be a reason for such a big drop off of Silver finds, I too am finding few silvers- in last 18 Boxes 10 Silvers from 3 of the 18 Boxes. My order bank teller told me the Brinks driver told her there is no silver in them boxes that they sort them out at the facility- which I know is not true cause I still get Silver. My personal best was back in June 2011, 2 of 6 Boxes had 112 Walkers 106 Bens 22 1964's and 30 %40's. And these were Brinks boxes too. Most ever found in a Loomis Box was 42 Silvers.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the brinks drivers definitely aren't culling, but I know certain coin counting machines in my area that reject any silver coin. I was waiting behind an older gentleman while he was dumping his change jar into the coin machine, and it rejected 4 40% halves, he ran them through 5 times, and it did not take them... I think the sorting facilities MAY have a counter that is very picky with the coins it takes, just like the coin machines at my local dump banks, just a thought, I could be completely wrong.
HH
Buff
There has to be a reason for such a big drop off of Silver finds, I too am finding few silvers- in last 18 Boxes 10 Silvers from 3 of the 18 Boxes. My order bank teller told me the Brinks driver told her there is no silver in them boxes that they sort them out at the facility- which I know is not true cause I still get Silver. My personal best was back in June 2011, 2 of 6 Boxes had 112 Walkers 106 Bens 22 1964's and 30 %40's. And these were Brinks boxes too. Most ever found in a Loomis Box was 42 Silvers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions