Broken elevator

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
About a month ago I hit a spot on the river and found several points, blades and pottery. A also found a few bones. I am in middle Tennessee for the record. But after cleaning and drying them I've started trying to figure out what animal it's from and what it's used for. There are tool marks in places of this bone. I'm thinking it's bison. The l2. I'm not sure if it was made to look like another animal and used as a shaman stick but thoughts would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20240322_153115.jpg
    20240322_153115.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • 20240322_153029.jpg
    20240322_153029.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 54
Upvote 1

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be the lumbar of a cow or bison. Most bones are impossible to tell. I don’t see the tool marks. it would have another wing on the opposite side and it would have a small projection that’s broken off the top.
IMG_8756.jpeg

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Yeh I didn't take any close ups yet. What's interesting to me though is how the long skinny bone is tapered down on mine versus unaltered ones I've seen in pictures. Where I'm from in ga there isn't many bones tools so I'm learning as I go basically. On a different spot down the river I found a odd angled rock that turned out to be a fossilized hoof !

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t think you can tell from a vertebra, I remembered I had found probably the same bone in the river a while back
IMG_8765.jpeg
IMG_8770.jpeg

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
It would make sense to be a bison. Apparently at one point they roamed through the region. Hence the name (buffalo valley). I read a journal entry today about describing how the Indians lived in the wallowed out side of the hills. Pretty interesting article

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bone in pictures does not appear to be fossil. Was it in river bank, river or away from river, bones do not last long in wet or damp ground or environment.

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month ago I hit a spot on the river and found several points, blades and pottery. A also found a few bones. I am in middle Tennessee for the record. But after cleaning and drying them I've started trying to figure out what animal it's from and what it's used for. There are tool marks in places of this bone. I'm thinking it's bison. The l2. I'm not sure if it was made to look like another animal and used as a shaman stick but thoughts would be helpful.
You can take a lighter and put it to a small corner of the bone and if it smells it’s not fossilized

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
No it's definitely not fossilized. But it did come out of the bank in a bend. The gravel bar at the same bend runs into the bank. I've picked up a couple nice points there and several chunks of pottery.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it's definitely not fossilized. But it did come out of the bank in a bend. The gravel bar at the same bend runs into the bank. I've picked up a couple nice points there and several chunks of pottery.

Odds are high it isn’t that old, for it to not be fossilized coming out of a river bank, it's not going to survive hundreds of years as natural bone in a riverbank, it's too wet of environment with river floods, and rain run offs.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread