Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20161101_140158 2.jpg
Was scrounging around the sanitation depot today when a truck dropped off a big pile of demolition debris. Saw lots of very old antique radios and other neat old things mangled throughout the pile of twisted metal rods and cement - likely the contents of an old person's garage. Nearly everything was too damaged for salvage. I sorted around through the pile in hopes of finding something that wasn't destroyed when I found this bronze plaque. The plaque depicts the Polish eagle. An inscription on the bottom reads: "Wolne Miasto Gdansk - Poczta Polska - 1939 Rok" which translated reads: "Free City of Danzig - Polish Post - Year 1939".

20161101_140307 2.jpg 20161101_140307 5.jpg

Didn't know how much history this plaque represented until I got home and realized the significance - 1939 would have been the last year that the Free City of Danzig existed before the Nazis seized control in the very first major event of World War II - the German invasion of Poland. More strikingly, and I just discovered the history a few minutes ago - a very specific battle took place called the "Defence of the Polish Post Office in Danzig."

Defenders_of_the_Polish_Post_Office,_Gdansk,_1939.jpg

It was literally the first major battle of WWII and involved the Polish Postal workers of the Free City of Danzig fortifying the post office and taking on the full force of the German Wehrmacht, SA, and SS as they began their invasion of Poland. The post office was bombarded by artillery, partially blown up with explosives, and then the Germans made the local fire department pump the basement full of gasoline and set it on fire. Out of the 56 Polish defenders within the building 28 lived long enough to surrender only to be executed soon after, 6 defenders managed to escape the building without being captured, and of those 6 only 4 survived to see the end of the war.

In the same article I was reading about the fall of the Free City of Danzig it highlighted the fact that one of the first things the Germans did after capturing the city was to remove all the insignia and symbols of Polish Danzig and put in their place new Nazi symbols.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-E10458,_Polen,_Zollstation,_deutsche_Soldaten.jpg Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-E10458,_Polen,_Zollstation,_deutsche_Soldaten 2.jpg
So from this information I created a theory - this plaque I found today may have actually been removed by the Germans when they invaded the city, then during the war a US soldier or a Polish immigrant to the US simply brought it to New York, left it in his garage, and then half century later the garage was demolished along with its contents and disposed of - leading the relic to me! :D

Edit: Okay, I just confirmed what this actually is, and man is this something amazing. It is one of possibly a few dozen surviving examples left of the last ever issued coat of arms of the Free City of Danzig post office. These were installed in 1939 on the outside of Danzig post office mail wagons. Every Danzig mail wagon had one. On September 1st 1939, the very first day of WWII, the Germans invaded the city as part of their larger invasion of Poland. The mailmen of Danzig were the only resistance that the Nazis faced. The Main Post office building of Danzig was besieged all day until it fell and the surrendering post workers were executed. The Germans were ordered to remove all the Polish plaques from the city and install new Nazi versions. The Danzig Post Office plaques were removed from the mail wagons and German troops kept them as spoils of war - most being taken back to Germany and displayed as trophies. These wagon plaques were significant as they represented the Danzig post office - the very first adversary the Germans defeated in WWII. 5 years later when Germany was invaded by the American forces, American G.I.'s plundered many German houses and took back with them relics such as these plaques and brought them home to the US as souvenirs. The Polish called these trophies "Hitleryki". This is one of no more than a dozen or so known surviving examples of an original Danzig mail wagon plaque - a relic from the first battle, of the first day, of the first adversary the Germans defeated in WWII.

Nazis invade Danzig and plunder the Polish eagles, replacing them with swastikas:

polska 2.jpg kolibki.jpg
miniatura_teledysku,3uztkXjWEpw.jpg Hitler-visiting-gdansk-1939.jpg

Stalin with a Polish eagle plundered by the Soviets from the Nazis after WWII:

8671_original.jpg

My Polish Danzig Post Eagle. Pried off a mail wagon by the Germans after the September 1st 1939 'Battle of the Danzig Post Office'. Originally the property of the Danzig postmen who fought back against the Germans on the first day of WWII. Likely brought back to Germany as loot until 1945 when it would have been confiscated by the Allies, eventually coming into the possession of Louie Dorniak, a Polish man who etched his name on the back of the eagle. Somehow the eagle was brought to New York and eventually forgotten and disposed of. Only by chance did I find it so that its story may continue.
20161101_140158 4.jpg 20161101_205116 3.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 31

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very historically rich artifact, and attractive too. Fabulous find; good on ya for preserving and researching it! I suspect the Germans had their eyes on Danzig because it was primarily German-ethnic and was unfairly taken away by the "treaty" of Versailles in order to give the Poles access to a nice seaport. If that "treaty" hadn't been so obnoxiously stacked against Germany then I doubt WW2 would have ever happened. Anyway, keep up the scrounging, I love seeing what you discover!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very historically rich artifact, and attractive too. Fabulous find; good on ya for preserving and researching it! I suspect the Germans had their eyes on Danzig because it was primarily German-ethnic and was unfairly taken away by the "treaty" of Versailles in order to give the Poles access to a nice seaport. If that "treaty" hadn't been so obnoxiously stacked against Germany then I doubt WW2 would have ever happened. Anyway, keep up the scrounging, I love seeing what you discover!

This is very true, I've been up all night researching the specifics of the Free City of Danzig. It was a majority German ethnic city, only the civil services were administrated by the Polish government, which was extremely unusual. The fire department, police, and post office of Danzig were all Polish-run institutions in what had always essentially been a German city. Hitler wanted to unify all German-ethnic lands into Germany proper. This required breaking the rules of the Treaty of Versailles, which was understood by all Germans, not just the Nazis, to have been the most unfair treaty ever written.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The city today, Gdansk, is half-way between Germany and Russia in an area contested by the 3 nations going back millennia. Germany lost WW1, why should the treaty be fair and them be given a port in the heart of another country because a lot of the people speak German there from a long standing occupation? You're saying Germany had a valid reason to invade Poland?

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The city today, Gdansk, is half-way between Germany and Russia in an area contested by the 3 nations going back millennia. Germany lost WW1, why should the treaty be fair and them be given a port in the heart of another country because a lot of the people speak German there from a long standing occupation? You're saying Germany had a valid reason to invade Poland?

No, the Germans had no right to invade Poland.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm more than impressed with your find, it is truly a remarkable save. I'd love to buy it and take it back to Poland to donate it. My wife is Polish so we go back a couple times a year.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so cool! Great story! Love this kind of treasure

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing find!! And thank you for doing all that research to share with us all. I'm a huge history-buff and enjoy WW2 history immensely. I'm glad this fell into the hands of someone that cared enough to find out it's meaning and appreciates the magnitude of what it is. Very special find! Congrats

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fascinating! Love your post and the research you've done. Thanks for sharing this important relic. Congrats. -Lisa & John

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! combined with the back story makes it very banner worthy...thx, very great post...ddf

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm more than impressed with your find, it is truly a remarkable save. I'd love to buy it and take it back to Poland to donate it. My wife is Polish so we go back a couple times a year.

I don't know, I think I will keep it at least until I've done a bit more research. Not to mention how would one even go about determining how much something like this is worth? These had only been issued 9 months before being plundered by the Nazis, can't be too many of them around. I would like it to become a part of any museum on the German occupation of Poland eventually though, Poland deserves artifacts from its history returned to them.

Last edited:

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
Louis Frank Dorniak was in the US Navy in WWII.

Dorniak - Ancestry.com-

Also did a search and came up with this:

LOUIS DORNIAK 3 GRIFFIN PL LYNBROOK 11563 NY. I also have a phone number for them if you are interested in contacting about the plaque.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find!! And thank you for doing all that research to share with us all. I'm a huge history-buff and enjoy WW2 history immensely. I'm glad this fell into the hands of someone that cared enough to find out it's meaning and appreciates the magnitude of what it is. Very special find! Congrats

Thanks! The moment I saw the date "1939" below the Polish eagle I thought to myself, this doesn't make any sense - 1939 was the year the Germans invaded Poland - surely 1939 Poland would not have had Polish eagles at all, only German ones. So I figured it had to have been some sort of a commemorative plaque of some kind, made after the war, dedicated to Poland's struggle in 1939. I took out my phone and went to 'Google Translate' and typed in the plaques inscription to determine exactly what it said. To my surprise it didn't say anything about the war, it simply said 'Free City of Danzig - Polish Post - Year 1939'. Upon reading the translation I realized I may have found something significant. I went home and did all the research I currently have and was simply stunned. Simply put, this plaque should not exist. It had been put into service the same year that it was stolen by the Nazis and replaced by a German eagle, it survived the war, was plundered again by either the Americans or Soviets, acquired Louie Dorniak at some time, and brought to the US, it was put in a garage for 50+ years, the garage was demolished with the plaque still in it, the debris was brought to a garbage dump - where I just happened to be - and I intercepted it at the last moment. Through all my research I have only been able to find a single other example of this plaque existing anywhere on Earth - and that example is in a WWII museum in Poland. There are many Polish Eagles that survived the war that still exist today, but not many from Danzig, and as far as I can determine only 1 other known from the Danzig post office - and the Battle of Danzig Post Office was the first battle of WWII fought on the first day of the invasion of Poland. How amazing this is, still can't believe it!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Louis Frank Dorniak was in the US Navy in WWII.

Dorniak - Ancestry.com-

Also did a search and came up with this:

LOUIS DORNIAK 3 GRIFFIN PL LYNBROOK 11563 NY. I also have a phone number for them if you are interested in contacting about the plaque.

Excellent, I've known about this address since yesterday and will be doing further investigation on it. I am hopeful that it will turn into a good lead, perhaps even lead to the man himself or at least a descendant who can tell me information as to how Louie may have acquired the Danzig post eagle. :icon_thumright:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
An amazing find so close to Remembrance Day (or Veterans Day for you). If you contact the family, they may ask for it back. I think you should resist that if they do. Something of this historical significance belongs in a museum as others have suggested (assuming you lean that way yourself, you might be able to extract a "finders fee") and they already gave up their claim when it went to the dump. I won't even get into the moral rats nest of whether someone should be allowed to own the plunders of war.

All in all, a magnificent find.

DigToChina

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread