Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday I decided to return to a field that gave up 40 nickels on Saturday. I did manage to dig out 14 more nickels which included a 1918 Buffalo Nickel. The reverse side of the nickel appears to be in much better shape than the Obverse. I tend to think the coin suffered some wear after it was buried. I believe that freezing and thawing of the ground can cause a coin to rub up solid objects like rocks, pebbles, or even frozen soil. Anyway that is just my opinion. This Buffalo has a visible date, even if you have to strain to make it out. It is always nice to get a Buffalo with a date.

Another pleasant surprise came after I got home and started to clean up my finds. I had dug a tag that I thought might be a machinery tag. It turned out to be a "New York Liberty Inaugural Season Opening Game Pass" that took place on June 29, 1997. The NY Liberty is a Professional Women's Basketball Team.
My finds for the day were: 22q, 44d, 13n, 34 memorials, 5 Wheat Pennies, (27, 44, 47, 48, & 55). a 1918 Buffalo Nickel, and a 1979 Canadian Penny.
I also recovered 3 keys. the Liberty Pass, a buckle, someone's teeth, and a junk ring.
IMG_2433.JPG IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2437.JPG IMG_2436.JPG IMG_2435.JPG IMG_2434.JPG

Upvote 13

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, typical NYC park digs. Still fun every time, surprised at the lack of subway tokens, those are always popping up around my hunts.
Nice score with the Buffalo, those don't usually hold up as nice as yours, usually the date is indistinguishable, it means yours was dropped about the time it was new. That's really cool! :thumbsup:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
A buffalo with a date is always nice. Glad to see that you were able to get out for a bit of hunting.

Those teeth just creep me out... icky...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt ATW. At least it looks like you wont have to many to brush !

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You sure do get your share of clad. I I had to guess, I'd say you have pulled close to a grand this season. I believe if you use a toothpick, (no water) you can get that Buffalo nickel looking pretty good. I need to find a place that produces like the parks you hunt.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful bunch of finds, Congrats! Yes the teeth are creepy but I like the joke that they fit.....made me laugh.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday I decided to return to a field that gave up 40 nickels on Saturday. I did manage to dig out 14 more nickels which included a 1918 Buffalo Nickel. The reverse side of the nickel appears to be in much better shape than the Obverse. I tend to think the coin suffered some wear after it was buried. I believe that freezing and thawing of the ground can cause a coin to rub up solid objects like rocks, pebbles, or even frozen soil. Anyway that is just my opinion. This Buffalo has a visible date, even if you have to strain to make it out. It is always nice to get a Buffalo with a date.

Another pleasant surprise came after I got home and started to clean up my finds. I had dug a tag that I thought might be a machinery tag. It turned out to be a "New York Liberty Inaugural Season Opening Game Pass" that took place on June 29, 1997. The NY Liberty is a Professional Women's Basketball Team.
My finds for the day were: 22q, 44d, 13n, 34 memorials, 5 Wheat Pennies, (27, 44, 47, 48, & 55). a 1918 Buffalo Nickel, and a 1979 Canadian Penny.
I also recovered 3 keys. the Liberty Pass, a buckle, someone's teeth, and a junk ring.
View attachment 1242013 View attachment 1242014 View attachment 1242015 View attachment 1242016 View attachment 1242017 View attachment 1242018
I have found hundreds of old nickels though out the years, just my opinion I think because so many buffalo nickels we find that are dateless is because thay were minted during the depressen times, when money was needed more than ever....

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all know what is in your future when you're digging that many nickels:thumbsup:

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the bridge made of?
I think it is made of surgical steel, titanium, or a non corrosive metal that the E-trac doesn't really register as a good target. The reason I recovered it, is because it was in the same hole with a quarter.

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool hunt, keep going back to that spot after soaking rains especially. I love it when I'm finding nickels like that, never know when GOLD will pop out instead of that nickel?

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of digs!!!! Nice to a buffalo come out with numbers!!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread