Brownwood, Texas - Boot Hill Cemetery

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my old messages from my now-closed Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group on Yahoo. A friend and I discovered two sandstone grave markers on some property we had permission to metal detect about 1980. They were in a location that matched that given for Brownwood's Boot Hill by Tevis Clyde Smith in the excerpt below. When I returned to the site in 2007, the property had changed ownership and the old markers were gone! I still remember the location, however, but the site of the gravestones is now covered by a gravel road. I have permission to detect the property so I may give my dowsing abilities a trial and see if I can get a reading of any bodies buried there someday.
🙂

From: "In The Life And Lives Of Brown County People", Book Ten,
March 1993, page 98.
BOOT HILL CEMETERY
"This cemetery is located in the city limits of Brownwood on Milton
Street, near the Adams branch. Today (1993) there are no signs that
the location was once a cemetery at the turn of the century.
In "From the Memories of Men by Tevis Clyde Smith, Jr.; he
recorded: 'The old cemetery was on the banks of the slough, just east
of the Milton Street home which Greenleaf Fisk built. I have been
told that every man buried there died with his boots on. Charlie
Webb was one of those buried in the old cemetery. He was deputy
sheriff at the time he was killed by John Wesley Hardin, who shot him
in Comanche, where Webb had gone to see his sweetheart'.
There are no documents to tell us what happened to the Boot Hill
Cemetery. From the memories of men we do know a little about what
happened. The people were unhappy with its location for the Adams
Branch sometimes overflowed into the cemetery. The date that some of
the families moved the bodies to the Greenleaf Cemetery is not
available, but there were some graves left and the mounds were
visible for a number of years. Mr. T.C. Smith tells that Charlie
Webb was buried in the Boot Hill Cemetery, and this may be true,
however, his marker stands in the older part of the Greenleaf
Cemetery in 1993. Perhaps he was buried in the little cemetery and
his remains were moved by some of the citizens of Brownwood."
~Jay~
Attached is a photo I took of Charlie Webb's historical plaque at Greenleaf Cemetery in 2013.

Attachments

• Tombstones-GreenleafCemetery 004.JPG
    Tombstones-GreenleafCemetery 004.JPG
    545.7 KB · Views: 9

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not right building a road over graves.

Not unless ALL of the graves and bodies were removed and interred properly in some other cemetary.

What did the land owner say where they went?

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats not right building a road over graves.

Not unless ALL of the graves and bodies were removed and interred properly in some other cemetary.

What did the land owner say where they went?
The current landowner didn't know the graves were there when the road was built. There have been at least one other owner of the property since I first discovered them in 1980. One of the latter owners must have removed the stones which were gone when I checked again in 2007. I didn't know the landowner who removed the stones sometime between 1980 and 2007. Yes, most of the graves were exhumed and moved to the new Greenleaf Cemetery some time after the new cemetery opened after 1874 when John Wesley Hardin killed Charlie Webb in nearby Comanche, Texas. It's said that some graves were left behind in Boot Hill Cemetery because the people buried there didn't have family or friends in the area who knew them.
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be sad if they were not exhumed.

A better argument for cremation and for my ashes to be spread in the last relic hole that I dug.
Yes, it is sad whenever so-called "progress" encroaches upon sacred burial grounds. A fellow Central Texas Treasure Club member and I are going to visit the site again tomorrow. I'm bringing my dowsing rods in hopes they will help us determine whether or not any bodies remain where those gravestones were. I might also bring a steel plumber's probe to see if there are any more gravestones that may have been covered over in the past 160 years. We're also going to metal detect where a long-gone house used to be located on the big site. The house was there in about 1980 but was demolished sometime between that year and about 2007.
~Texas Jay

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is sad whenever so-called "progress" encroaches upon sacred burial grounds. A fellow Central Texas Treasure Club member and I are going to visit the site again tomorrow. I'm bringing my dowsing rods in hopes they will help us determine whether or not any bodies remain where those gravestones were. I might also bring a steel plumber's probe to see if there are any more gravestones that may have been covered over in the past 160 years. We're also going to metal detect where a long-gone house used to be located on the big site. The house was there in about 1980 but was demolished sometime between that year and about 2007.
~Texas Jay
Good Luck, please let us know how things turn out!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be an excellent site for a GPR survey.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jay, wonderful thread and I wish you the very best in your search for remaining graves. I have a bunch of folks buried in Shiloh Cemetery just southeast of Comanche -- and Hamilton -- in that country. Mr. Hardin at some point found his way to little old Sweetwater to consult with saddlemaker J.K Polk about an idea he had for a holster. Not long after, Polk sold his business to Sam "Tio" Myres one of the most famous saddlers of the Texas of 130 years ago.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck, please let us know how things turn out!
Thanks, deltaman. On Wednesday, September 13th, I took 3 fellow Central Texas Treasure Club members to the site that I believe was Brownwood's old Boot Hill Cemetery to search again for the graves that I found the markers to in 1980. I spent most of my time dowsing and giving my 13 year-old treasure hunting partner his first lesson on dowsing. First, I dowsed the two spots that I remembered finding the two sandstone grave markers at. I got a hit on both of them, very close together. I kept dowsing on a line on both sides of those graves. I located two more as I headed east and one more as I headed west, making a total of 5 remaining burial sites. All 5 contained male remains. I checked the depth of one of the original two graves and found that the human remains are only 2-3 feet deep. Then I took my 5-foot steel plumbers probe and pushed it into the top of the first grave and it struck what seems to be one of the old gravestones that was there 43 years ago, buried under only about 3 inches of topsoil. We will return to the site, as time allows, and scrape away the soil above the target I encountered with the probe and hopefully it will reveal one of the old gravestones that I had previously thought had been removed from the site. It was starting to get dark and my other treasure hunting partner Caiden had wandered off into another part of the big field that we metal detected a few months ago. He came back and wanted us to take Jen to see a giant oak tree that we'd discovered on our first visit before it got dark so off we went. That old oak is amazing and I'd estimate it's at least 800-900 years old! It was here when Indians, Spanish explorers and colonists, outlaws, and cowboys roamed this area of rural central Texas! My treasure hunting partner Caiden stretched his arms around the trunk of the ancient tree and his arms only reached about 1/3 of the way around it!
~Texas Jay
376430760_1309970569659659_8410881698386799593_n.jpg
376397840_694343378709217_1151868119635993683_n.jpg

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and your group are well deserving from us all for your investigation and preservation of history and to acknowledge all of those poor unknown souls on boot hill.

Well Done!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You and your group are well deserving from us all for your investigation and preservation of history and to acknowledge all of those poor unknown souls on boot hill.

Well Done!
I appreciate the compliments and will pass them on to my detecting partners who are working with me at this site. On our next trip to the site, we're going to scrape and brush off the few inches of accumulated soil from what I believe may be the old stones that may have covered them since my 1980 visit. Here's a photo of the one I checked with a plumbers probe and hit the possible gravestone.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• 376370606_1009192207062402_8969075421093198853_n.jpg
    376370606_1009192207062402_8969075421093198853_n.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread