Estima8tor

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE : Nokta Simplex+ WHP : Minelab X-Terra 705 : XP MI-4 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I went out to some woods yesterday morning that were once part of a colonial era homestead. This area was first settled in the 1630's as part of a land grant from King George. I found what looks to be a colonial shoe buckle and a sword shaped blade made of iron. I also found a small brass pin that that was probably used to secure a handle to the blade.

I found the blade when digging up the buckle, the buckle showed up as a quarter on my old coin-master but the blade didn't register at all. (I had iron discrimination on so it must be made of mostly iron)
For reference the blade is 18" long from tip to back and has a 15" beveled cutting edge on it. It looks like it may have been broken off right where the handle attached.

I'm pretty sure the buckle is a shoe buckle but it's my first one so I would like your opinion on it (if that's what it is).
I'm trying to figure out what the iron blade was originally designed for and how old it might be. It looks more like a sword or weapon than the typical machete or farm tool used for clearing brush
Any thoughts on these two finds would be appreciated.

IMG_20181015_150045709.jpg

IMG_20181015_150017366.jpg

Shoe Buckle and 14 inch cuting - Bayside Rec Center.jpg

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to Tnet nice finds

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the Tnet forum from Georgia and Congrat's on some very nice Colonial Artifacts. A lot of History there.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat stuff.

Blade i
Is SWEET! , Wish I knew my Swords / Blades better , look very nice have you cleaned it yet?

Def, looks like a shoe or Colonial buckle frame of some type , I don't dig them here So ????
Welcome to the site & GL with Id's & future finds.

Davers

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great sabre well done

Top Member Reactions