Button? Rosette? Any help is appreciated. Found at very old park.

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rang up 75-85 on my Garrett ace 300 I figured it was a modern coin and was surprised when this thing fell out. I cleaned it up a bit but cant tell if it has writing/letters etc or just a design on the front. Anybody recognize this as anything before I get too in depth researching? The park has been used as a community gathering center forever. Civil war confederate winter camp a stones throw from here. Old mill site a stones throw from here. Lots of history. I just cant imagine someone here cant recognize this item. I cant even tell if it's a button or what! It is just a little bigger around than a dime and about as thick as 3 dimes stacked together. Pretty dang heavy for its size... any info is appreciated! 20200822_212919.jpg 20200822_212930.jpg 20200822_212933.jpg 20200822_212941.jpg 20200822_212954.jpg 20200822_213036.jpg

Upvote 5

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at the bottom of it in the fourth pic it looks cast, I'm leaning toward drawer pull as well. Is it threaded on the inside?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too small to be a rosette. Knob or pull was the first thing that came to mind.

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought a knob or pull as a possibility too. Could be for sure. Obviously, I'm hoping for something better ,lol. Still looking for the CS buckles and NC starburst buttons etc. Lol! Seriously though, It is pretty small for a drawer pull or knob honestly, even older ones I've seen... not that I dont agree with that ID. The hole does NOT appear to be threaded either... I thought maybe it was sort of "riveted" in place if that makes sense? Its FOR SURE cast, from what I see as well atleast the main part of it. You can see the same 2 marks on the back that I'm seeing I believe. I also believe the "rope/swirl" pattern was added later(soldered on etc after casting), but it could be cast as well as none has separated.I need to get some better pics on my measurement mat and maybe do a little more cleaning. Still cant tell if this is a design, word, number, symbols etc around the front center? Its not similar enough all the way around that it looks like it would just be a design. I searched the area HARD, found a 19?0 wheatie. No household junk etc. In this spot. Not that it means this isnt household junk... just cool looking junk I reckon! I instantly figured pin, button, rosette, etc. I appreciate all the comments! I agree with all of you, lol! Ny opinion on age? Thats usually all I'm really worried about at first, lol. I'm open to any further interpretation and can anybody tell what the heck it says or has on the front center? I really cant figure it out. It almost looks like a flower in the dead center as well... but I could just be staring so much I'm seeing stuff Haha! I'll update with measurements and more photos later or in the morning... getting the kid to bed now, lol. Thanks again everybody for checking it out! I'll be sure to check in again soon to see if anything else is said.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the small drawer pull camp.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not inconceivable that is a mini screw back concho.

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to believe this is a drawer pull or knob of some sort... if nothing else because everybody believes it is lol. I think we will just go with that. It's the most likely possibility at this point for sure! Im hoping I can figure out what is on the front of the knob etc? Can anybody see anything in the "squiggles" on the front to help me decide if this is decorative or if it maybe says something etc?The screw on concho comment is more like what I was thinking... but there appears to be no threads in that hole. That's why I thought maybe a rivet or something similar was pushed in through the hole and pressed into place. That's how I attach snap buttons to my leatherwork to this day... just looked like it could have been something along those lines. It's a nice sunny day, so I'll probably go give this hill another shot! Thanks again guys and as always, more comments are always welcome!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with Erik in NJ. To small to be a Rosette. I was also thinking drawer pull ( with all the rest ).

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to believe this is a drawer pull or knob of some sort... if nothing else because everybody believes it is lol. I think we will just go with that. It's the most likely possibility at this point for sure! Im hoping I can figure out what is on the front of the knob etc? Can anybody see anything in the "squiggles" on the front to help me decide if this is decorative or if it maybe says something etc?The screw on concho comment is more like what I was thinking... but there appears to be no threads in that hole. That's why I thought maybe a rivet or something similar was pushed in through the hole and pressed into place. That's how I attach snap buttons to my leatherwork to this day... just looked like it could have been something along those lines. It's a nice sunny day, so I'll probably go give this hill another shot! Thanks again guys and as always, more comments are always welcome!

An easy way to double check is most drawer pulls stand off the surface enough to grab onto well with the fingers, lay it on the table and see if it can be grabbed easily, if not it may be something else as you were thinking. Something attached to leather would sit pretty flat, and so on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread