Cache Hunting

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I start, I just want to let everyone know, I am not looking for help on finding a cache, or an easy way out of doing research. I am completely willing to do all of my own research, but am looking for a bit of help getting started. Does anyone have any good advice on ways to get leads for caches? I can do research on old newspaper stories, but would like to have something specific to go on. Any help?

Thanks,
Dihren

Hoppus

Aug 20, 2012
Reno, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senior Centers? I'm trying to come with a good lead up to talk to seniors about old treasure/cache stories. You don't want to just come out and ask because you'll just come off as greedy. My wife and I are in it for the find but that's just not how people are now-a-days and people just don't trust each other like they used to.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
probably the best way to approach the older folks is small talk of rainy weather,or anything else that they are willing to talk about. arthritis is another good opener as most oldies have had a touch of it. if you know someone from the past that actually did bury a cache then that person can be brought in to the conversation. in this manner you can start; '' did you know old man joe blow the bootlegger ? i hear he buried some silver dollars on his property ''. from there you can keep it going. if you get no response then try some other person. you have to be creative as if you were beginning a new business. never let one negative be the end of the line. if you have to, get in the woods and hills and look for signs on rocks and trees. that's what i did. if you find signs then stay on treasurenet and learn to read the signs. go to '' treasure signs and symbols '' where there is good info on signs.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Dihren, do you play the guitar? Or harmonica? Or both? First look on youtube for cache hunting songs. Learn to play three
songs, don't worry about the quality. Then contact the nursing homes and volunteer to entertain the residents. When they
are all seated and listening start off with a fast tune like "I got a cache, you got a cache, all God's childrens got a cache".
If that gets them clapping do "All the gold in California". If they all get up and start dancing patiently wait till they get back
on their seats and begin a discussion about banks that failed and how folks started hiding their money in the woods. You
will start hearing cache stories right and left. In fact I guarantee every one on them will have at least one.

Then pick out the one with the most money and get directions to where it is buried. Play one more song and ask if they
want you to come back next week. All hands will go up and you will have it made.

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great idea lastleg! And I play the piano. I will do that as soon a possible! Thanks!

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would suggest that since you live in the South and especially NC do your Civil War research and try to wander around areas that were near military encampments or embattlements. Also get out in the woods and look for Beech trees with carvings on them. If you don't want to bother with trying to interpret signs then just run your metal detector around every tree you find with a sign carved in it. You may get lucky and stumble on a payday. Finding KGC caches is not going to happen unless you have done a great deal of research and you know how they thought and what their methods of hiding gold were. If you are interested in that start off by reading Bob Brewer's book "In The Shadow Of The Sentinel".

Partnering up with a person born and raised in the area is also a good idea. They may be able to get you on family property with an old homestead etc that you can hunt. Thats where a lot of the good stuff is buried. Somebody who's grandpa was a moonshiner or an old house that has been around since the Civil War. A lot of folks buried their savings in the backyard in those days.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's what you are looking for. http://www.gwizit.com/treasure hand print-2_edited-5.jpg Click on treasure at the top select state on the left. Frank

K

Kentucky Kache

I think you'll find that when you get into those old newspapers, leads will find you. You'll see a story about a bootlegger, a miser, or maybe a court case that will give you a lead. Sometimes you'll find an actual buried treasure story that has never been reported found. Research will then tell you whether there's enough evidence to justify a search. As far as talking to old timers, it's my experience that it's they who want to talk to you. Just ease into a conversation, and at some point mention how people use to bury their money, etc. And you might want to pack a lunch, because some of these guys and gals LOVE to talk. As said above, you WILL get stories to research. Another thing you might try is the courthouse. Old court records sometimes tell you more than judges verdicts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread