Can Someone Explain the Web to an Idiot?

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
there is a little man in colorado who dose it all for you and will keep it all secure for you for a dollar a year. he keeps all his servers in the bathroom, so if anything goes wrong he can flush them all. He has a pointy hat and his name is merlin. And don't forget never mention him, he is a big secret. The whole internet is just magic, and can be wiped out with one wipe of a cloth. But don't tell anyone most people don't know that.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Now getting people to VISIT your site is a whole different story.....

You have to do things like a chap from Britain does on Treasurenet. He just posts one or two lines and then a link to his site.

It's a way to drive traffic from here to his site.

Nitric: You need to hurry and get your site up, otherwise I've reached the end of the internet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to do things like a chap from Britain does on Treasurenet. He just posts one or two lines and then a link to his site.

It's a way to drive traffic from here to his site.

Nitric: You need to hurry and get your site up, otherwise I've reached the end of the internet.

This all started as a joke!! A friend and I were on the phone......"wish we had the money to start a site"....I said.."I bet I could learn" we laughed and went on to some other nonsense conversation. Then I started goofing around a couple hours later not having a clue of anything. So......I have "templates" or whatever you want to call them..In different things. Then I thought...Ok....this is free? If you put all this work? Who owns it? Those were a couple of questions.

Then...How does this work to show up on searches? etc...........

This all started as a joke type thing. Then the gears started turning and this is where I'm at.:laughing7:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Yes, do it for the children (on their smart phones)!

Is that anything like the "end of the earth"?

ship_sailing_off_edge_of_world.jpg

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I might not be right but I'd bet the majority of hits go to the first six or so that come up
on the first page of Google.
How do you get to be on the first page. I guess you buy your way in or wait until your site is really
popular.
Around the early 90's I came up with a domain name of Dot.com. I wanted to sell it but I found
out a woman named Dot already had it.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Wait. That all costs money and what you want to do is learn, right?
If you truly want to learn...

Get XAMPP Apache. Then get content management system (CMS), code your own html, css, php, whatever...

With XAMMP You'll get a full blown server on your local machine contained neatly within one folder. Drop your CMS (like drupal, joomla, etc) in the folder, open a browser to localhost and boom! Your education independent of internet connection and money from server /domain expenses.

It's not difficult to set up...and free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread