🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After my incredible hunt yesterday I spent 6 hours back at my site today. I got a quick reminder that I'm still human and came down off my cloud. It was really tough going. I did manage a toasted copper, a bunch of buttons... one cast with a drilled shank, a CW Sharps Bullet, a few more shoe buckle fragments and the COOLEST bottle side I've ever seen... It has a Cannon on the side. I really wish it wasn't broken, and at some point I will sift this section and hopefully find some more to it.

IMG_20151223_212232618.jpg

Once again, I know nothing about bottles. It looks like it has some words embossed above the cannon. I havent tried to google this yet, so if anyone has any info on this bottle side that would be awesome.

IMG_20151223_165225608.jpg IMG_20151223_212254651.jpg IMG_20151223_212313155.jpg

The LC looks like its another 1817... not nearly as nice as the 1817 I dug a few days ago. Pretty nuts, but I've gotten 4 LCs this week... Gotta love time off work! The cast button with the drilled shank is missing a chunk off the side. Still, it was a nice surprise to see that when I was cleaning everything.

IMG_20151223_212245032.jpg IMG_20151223_212329387.jpg

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas Everyone.

Upvote 14
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You seem to find a lot of great stuff. Keep up the good work. HH

Thanks CaliforniaKid! This place keeps surprising me.

Nice pile of relics, sweet Large Cent too! :treasurechest::thumbsup:

Thanks UnderMiner! It's always bittersweet when I see a toasty copper appear. In the one section I found this one in, they have all come out pretty rough.

Really nice finds and great research on that glass.
When I first read GRAPE,, I'm thinking wine.
Put the word "Grapeshot" together with the cannon and it all makes sense. Duhhh
Well done guys and Merry Christmas.

Thanks AgainstTheWind! I thought the same thing about the grape.. even cooler with the history of why the bottle said that. I have to say I'm a little disappointed... there are cannonballs on the side of the bottle... they should be canister shot. Lazy bottle maker :laughing7: Merry Christmas to you too.

Very nice finds congrats

Thanks trapperart!

Well done again. Nice set of finds. I like the cannon bottle!

Merry Christmas!

Thanks Tom! I have begun my next silver drought. haha Merry Christmas to you too.

So glad you got an ID on your cannon bottle and next time I hope you find an intact one. Keep on digging that site,looks promising,

Thanks CoilyGirl! I'll be back there to sift that section. I've sifted a lot here and found some cool stuff, but its always smashed into little bits. I think they had fun breaking bottles and plates when they would throw them out. Really stinks, but I have reconstructed one 1820's bowl and I many partial plates. Hopefully I can find some more to this bottle.

Brad - that cannonball bottle frag is very unique and one I haven't seen before. Let's hope the rest of it is still waiting in the ground to be sifted. That would be an awesome reconstruction if you can find most of the pieces. Good luck!

Thanks Bill! I didn't mention that I also found a thick onion bottle base on there too. (at least thats what I think it is) It seems that the only things that survive in this pit are the bottle bases... the rest is crushed into quarter size pieces. The rest is there somewhere, lets hope the pieces are large enough to identify. Knowing what it looks like might make that easier now.

That frag is so cool, i was at a show last weekend. And a dealer there had some Eagle flasks there that were so cool.
I like you're more.
Hope you can get the rest!!

Thanks man! I saw some of those eagle flasks while I was searching on this one. Those are awesome. Man it would be incredible to get into a pit and find some complete bottles. This bottle is cool since it was probably a political bottle for Taylor's presidency, but also a military bottle since the quote is from Taylor's service.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I toss all glass, shell, and brick frags in my bag when things turn up in plugs. Well, this it why... I got some of the grapes!! I just dumped the muddy sludge from my bag from yesterday and hit it with the hose. I notice a piece of the glass is embossed.

It's the grapes from the other side and it says "CA" for Capt Bragg.

IMG_20151224_112635.jpg

If pieces to both sides were in the same plug, then the rest of it must be close by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread