Cannon Case (Canister) Iron Shot I Found Last Sunday May Be Historically Significant

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Sunday I found a 1.5 oz. cast iron ball nearly one inch in diameter. Hadn't found anything like this before although I have a growing collection of lead ball. After some thought and research I now believe it could have very well been part of my area's only Revolutionary War skirmish. I live on the south fork of eastern Long Island, NY not far from the site of the battle. During the Revolutionary War the British would anchor part of their war fleet in a nearby harbor, then sail into a garrison manned by loyalist militia for resupply. Basically they pillaged the area for food, fodder, lumber, firewood, and supplies. Population was mixed between Loyalists and Revolutionaries like much of Long Island, although many locals fled to CT after the fall of NYC. I've attached an article describing the conflict.

It was successful for the Americans, mostly carried out as a stealth night sneak attack at bayonet point. But here's where the cannon shots came into play and maybe the source of my stray grape shot:

"At the waterfront, a British schooner of 12 guns opened fire on the Americans as they burned the boats. Twelve boats were destroyed. Six Loyalists were killed. The Americans did not suffer any casualties. The raiders grabbed 53 prisoners at the garrison and 37 at the wharf. The prisoners were evacuated to Connecticut."

The shot is definitely cast iron. The size of a grape, classic canister or case shot for the 12 pounder used by both land and sea forces with devastating effect. Back then they often referred it as "sand shot" and indeed you can see quartz silica sand sparkling on the shot exterior from the casting process. I can't figure out any other reason why someone would cut loose a cannon on some hilly farmer's fields.

This is what makes metal detecting relics so fun. There is the chase, the trophy, and then the research. It's a small piece but maybe the only one from a big event. The shot is pictured next to some of my other finds: a 1731 KGII halfpence, the iron shot, .75 Brown Bess, and .69 French Charleville.

Attachments

• tres329.jpg
    tres329.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 35

42 Scout car

Greenie
Nov 15, 2021
Last Sunday I found a 1.5 oz. cast iron ball nearly one inch in diameter. Hadn't found anything like this before although I have a growing collection of lead ball. After some thought and research I now believe it could have very well been part of my area's only Revolutionary War skirmish. I live on the south fork of eastern Long Island, NY not far from the site of the battle. During the Revolutionary War the British would anchor part of their war fleet in a nearby harbor, then sail into a garrison manned by loyalist militia for resupply. Basically they pillaged the area for food, fodder, lumber, firewood, and supplies. Population was mixed between Loyalists and Revolutionaries like much of Long Island, although many locals fled to CT after the fall of NYC. I've attached an article describing the conflict.

It was successful for the Americans, mostly carried out as a stealth night sneak attack at bayonet point. But here's where the cannon shots came into play and maybe the source of my stray grape shot:

"At the waterfront, a British schooner of 12 guns opened fire on the Americans as they burned the boats. Twelve boats were destroyed. Six Loyalists were killed. The Americans did not suffer any casualties. The raiders grabbed 53 prisoners at the garrison and 37 at the wharf. The prisoners were evacuated to Connecticut."

The shot is definitely cast iron. The size of a grape, classic canister or case shot for the 12 pounder used by both land and sea forces with devastating effect. Back then they often referred it as "sand shot" and indeed you can see quartz silica sand sparkling on the shot exterior from the casting process. I can't figure out any other reason why someone would cut loose a cannon on some hilly farmer's fields.

This is what makes metal detecting relics so fun. There is the chase, the trophy, and then the research. It's a small piece but maybe the only one from a big event. The shot is pictured next to some of my other finds: a 1731 KGII halfpence, the iron shot, .75 Brown Bess, and .69 French Charleville.

42 Scout car

Greenie
Nov 15, 2021
Wow..that is a great find! I found pretty much the same balls by me, West Point NY there was a battle were I found the items, The Battle of Fort Montgomery. The 3 small lead balls I found are about 1/2 inch. Do you know what type of gun fired them? Thanks, Rob

Attachments

• gg4.jpeg
    gg4.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 8

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your lead balls are not military, likely from hunting or target practice. I've been to Fort Montgomery many times, no record of cannister used there as far as I know. They would have them in the museum there if they were used there.

42 Scout car

Greenie
Nov 15, 2021
I highly recommend this book. He has examples of recovered musket balls and shot recovered from Ft Montgomery. I will add that my finds were on private land with the owners permission. The location is about 1 mile west of the fort where a band of Americans 1st encountered the Brits

Attachments

• gg5.jpeg
    gg5.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread