Cannon identification

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Have been away recently. Here is my checklist for cannon identification
1. Material. Usually bronze or cast-iron (smooth) or wrought-iron (usually hoops)
2. Muzzle-loading (closed tube) or breechloader (open tube)
3. Type. Eg long gun or carronade for Muzzeloaders; swivel gun or bedded gun for Breechloaders
4. Measurements. The diameter of the inside of the barrel, as far down as possible and the length from muzzle to the vent. In practise both these measurements are very difficult to undertake underwater with all the crud about.
5. Details of marks. For most guns the most fruitful places to look are the trunnion faces (the arms that stick out) and the barrel between the trunnions and the basering (the band behind the touch-hole).

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
1. Material. Usually bronze or cast-iron (smooth) or wrought-iron (usually hoops)
3. Type. Eg long gun or carronade for Muzzeloaders; swivel gun or bedded gun for Breechloaders
4. Measurements. The diameter of the inside of the barrel, as far down as possible and the length from muzzle to the vent. In practise both these measurements are very difficult to undertake underwater with all the crud about.
5. Details of marks. For most guns the most fruitful places to look are the trunnion faces (the arms that stick out) and the barrel between the trunnions and the basering (the band behind the touch-hole).

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Thanks Mr. Smithbrown. I will try to get the measurements you need next time I visit the gun. Don't know when that will be, like I said above I have several guide trips scheduled in the next couple weeks.

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There's several good books on Cannons.. Gunfoundings & Gunfounders is one of them but without any markings it will be very hard to identify.

It's pretty near impossible to tell just by the size and dimensions.

TW. A001_Gunfounding Cover.jpg

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There's several good books on Cannons.. Gunfoundings & Gunfounders is one of them but without any markings it will be very hard to identify.

It's pretty near impossible to tell just by the size and dimensions.

TW.

Thanks Tony. I just ordered a copy of that book. If there are any markings, they are under the encrustation and corrosion. Next time I visit the gun I will bring a hammer with me.

fiscue

Mar 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Im new at this forum and also with cannons. I am hopeful someone can point me to the right place.

I have a cannon I wish to ID. I'll leave a photo.
Barrel 17"
Bore 1-1/8"
wheel 14"
Overall 27"
Weight 100 Lbs

Thanks for any help and sorry to high jack your thread.

fiscue

SAM_0030.JPG

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gunfounders and Gunfounding by A.N. Kennard is an awesome book for identifying cannons that have any gunfounders markings but if your cannon doesn't have any markings it will be much harder to identify. Did you check everywhere including on muzzle front and also on the trunnion ends? Another guy here was asking you for the dimensions but in my opinion that's very difficult or even impossible to be able to identify any cannon just by taking those.
Tony A001_Gunfounding Cover.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
Im new at this forum and also with cannons. I am hopeful someone can point me to the right place.

I have a cannon I wish to ID. I'll leave a photo.
Barrel 17"
Bore 1-1/8"
wheel 14"
Overall 27"
Weight 100 Lbs

Thanks for any help and sorry to high jack your thread.

fiscue

View attachment 1281613

Is it me or does this look like a miniature cannon to anyone else ? heh

It is not one... just at first glance...

One word man... Wow !... where on earth did you score that beauty...

It appears the touch hole has been sealed. is it ?
OR is it just an "indention" ?

IF just an indention ... it is a "replica"... made for "display"...

IF it does appear to have something in the touch hole... take a sewing needle and scrap in the hole...
IF you see a silverfish metal...
You have the real deal...
WHICH... is not only amazing... but really friggin rare... and I mean REALLY rare.

PS> Btw ... either way... this is a stellar find.

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gunfounders and Gunfounding by A.N. Kennard is an awesome book for identifying cannons that have any gunfounders markings but if your cannon doesn't have any markings it will be much harder to identify. Did you check everywhere including on muzzle front and also on the trunnion ends? Another guy here was asking you for the dimensions but in my opinion that's very difficult or even impossible to be able to identify any cannon just by taking those.
Tony View attachment 1285664

Thanks Bronze.......just bought the book, need to find some cannons now to compare to it... Thanks for the heads up...

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My pleasure. I've used that book several times for reference. It's a great book. Good luck with your cannon finding. Share with us if you get something good.
TW

Thanks Bronze.......just bought the book, need to find some cannons now to compare to it... Thanks for the heads up...

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Posted photos of the Bell, now cannons that's a different thing all together...ha ha

However, I did take this photo of what was possibly one of the USS Vixen's cannons near Conception.... There's a second just under it.

( Gord send me an email address and I'll send you the videos)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458820643.138082.jpg

Looking for two sets in Crooked island so Watch this space.....

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gord, Sorry...forgot this...

HMS Southampton cannon photo I took 2 miles from the one above...( ha ha)

She captured the Vixen....

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458821827.404025.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread