Cast C Buttons?

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought these pewter cast C buttons at a yard sale today, there were in a box with other many older buttons. They were cheap, so I'm not worried about being ripped off. I've found information on cast I confederate buttons, but nothing on cast C buttons, what do the experts say, are they repro's or originals? What are your thoughts.
C button.jpg C button2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No comments or opinions?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing in Tice`s Uniform Button of the United States Book looks like that button...the C far to open and has no upward hook.
Gary

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Gary is right on this one I think. Your pewter "C" has no serif on the upward hook of the "C" which from all the examples of the Confederate Calvary Coat Button I found (which is the closest military type of C button yours comes to) do not have the symmetry that your C has, in addition to what Gary already mentioned about the C being far too open between the hook ends and is overall a more block style letter. Now, having said all of that, there indeed were variations of the Confederate Calvary Coat button which were different than the real deal example I will use below. But, even in those variations, for example, a script "C" button or just different C altogether, all the examples had some sort of variation of a serif (but a defined serif) on the top hook of whatever style "C" that was used.

Another thought, and I may step into it with those on TNET that are better button identifiers than I am, is that for one, cast pewter buttons really were not used a whole helluva lot on either side. It's not to say they weren't at all used but the few examples I did find were 1) french made "Chausseur" style buttons which are not these or 2) crudely made pewter but nothing that matches up with yours specifically. Second, it appears your button has a "self shank" back to it and while that method was around at the time of the Civil War, not many buttons that were made specifically for military use were made that way.

What I can share is for CW reenactors, there is the following website that sells fairly poor quality cast "C" pewter buttons that are a little closer to your type, though I think even saying that much is a stretch, but nonetheless they are available. If your buttons are indeed repros, they are at least better quality than these...

Pewter Block 'C' (Cavalry) Button

A nice example of the button I referenced that was used by the Confederacy was made by HT&B/Manchester

thumbs_DSC09860.JPG

and back...
thumbs_DSC09861.JPG

At the end of they day, still cool cast pewter buttons. Probably for civilian use, possible it predates CW but more likely made afterwards.

Nice find!

-H

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was more modern, but what throw me a little was the dirt.

OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I figured that they were probably fake/reproduction. Oh well, like I said, they were cheap and weren't sold as anything special.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread