Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey thanks for all your interest in my posts of relics and coins found at Castine, Me. I was told my posts are to long so adopting the KISS principle . Keep it Short and Simple. You know shoe buckles are always a thrill to find and in the 14 years I hunted this great site probably found a few dozen. Not rare but almost always you never find a match . Most I have found were the enlisted which are plain and the officers have designs like the Cpt Hinkley buckle frame found in may of this year.
Back up to 2007 when I got permission to hunt a known British Artillery position located on the far eastern part of the peninsula. Number 13 on the map I provided. Also notice across the back bay number 15 that is Paul Revere's artillery set up on the mainland. The Brits had 4 -4 pounders set up on a small flat hill and from the relics I have found on both sites the Americans only fired grape shot since no cannon balls were found. On the American art the Brits fired 4s. One I found on the beach just short of Rever's artillery position .
Anyway getting to the hunt on the Brit art I never found any single shoe buckles but did find this pair piggyback and here they are. When cleaning I did find small breaks in both of them and believe most likely stepped on and discarded. In the pic with the dirt on them this is the way they were found . With designs of an officer .
I am posting the map since mostly all of Castine since 2007 have been posted "No Relic Hunting" and monitored by the Conservation Trust with cameras. Scan0117.jpg Scan0108.jpg Scan0122.jpg Scan0126.jpg Scan0142.jpg Scan0100.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch
Yes certainly that is true on the negativity and the comments on Cpt Hinkley's shoe buckle was a good example of that. However that was more my fault as it was my first post and really should have done a better job explain my bold statement and making it sound like speculation .Did not want to make a book of it . I am going to do a redo on that not because I want to convince the naysayers they are wrong but because the little relic deserves a better story . Thanks as always for your remarks .

It's a good relic, and a cool story, but it's pretty hard to have proof. Too bad we didn't have news crews with cameras covering that war! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions