Casting Father/Son for Gold Mining History Channel Episode

Oct 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

My name is Colin Sprague and I'm reaching out from Punch Drunk Pictures (Punch Drunk Pictures) in Los Angeles where I am a developing producer. We are a television production company behind shows such as Dead End Express on National Geographic and The Horn on Red Bull TV. I'm currently developing a new series for History Channel and am looking for fathers and their millennial sons to be featured in an episode.

In a nutshell, the project aims to celebrate the achievements of the Baby Boomer generation while evaluating how well equipped the new generation is to carry this legacy and skills through the 21st Century. We are searching across the country for "the real American working man" and his millennial son. The father who has worked hard to get to where he is and might think that the millennial generation does not understand the true value of the tough grind. Meanwhile the millennial may be tired of his dad constantly bragging about his work ethic and hearing the same old "back in my day" stories.

With this particular episode, we'd be focusing on gold mining and the skills it takes to get an operation up and running. We'd tell the story of the father staking his first claim and then challenge his son to go "walk a mile in his dad's shoes" by staking his own claim.

If this sounds like it would be a good fit for anyone, I'd love to talk with you more about this project! I know this is kind of random, initially I'd just be interested in having a conversation about your experiences mining and how it might fit with this project. I've attached a flyer that goes into more details about the series and what would be involved. If you are interested, please leave a response here and I will message you with my contact information. I hope all is well and that we have the opportunity to talk soon!

Best Wishes,

Colin Sprague
Developing Producer
Punch Drunk Pictures

Attachments

• ColinFlyer (1).jpg
    ColinFlyer (1).jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 99

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My son is 5 so I guess I am out...

the project aims to celebrate the achievements of the Baby Boomer generation

What would those be? Sending manufacturing jobs overseas? Creating a system where you need two salaries to just buy a house? Destroying pensions? Borrowing against social security so it would go bankrupt? Pricing people out of college? Creating the mess that is health care where one illness will bankrupt you? Outsourcing technical jobs? Allowing people to rely on gov assistance indefinitely? Allowing 1% of the nation to control 90%+ of the wealth? Allowing special interests to control our gov? Allowing politicians to be bought and sold to the highest bidder? the list goes on and on...the younger generation is going to be forced to clean up this mess...i feel bad for the kids coming up now and I have a 5 yr old, 3yr old, and 1 yr old...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum from White Plains, NY, Colin! :occasion14:

Good luck with your new show. You are likely to get a lot of push back, because many of us hate the way gold miners, treasure hunters and metal detectorists have been portrayed by television over the last few years. To me, your idea sounds about as entertaining as watching paint dry, but maybe a younger audience would be interested (I'm 59).

OP
OP
P
Oct 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry! I appreciate the honesty and well wishes. Our companies motto is "Stop Making Stupid People Famous" so here's hoping we can break the mold of what has come to be expected from mining shows. Hope all is well in White Plains!

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
Did anyone else hear that discovery channel dropped Ricks Restorations?

This is why no one wants to get involved with the whole reality TV deal coz its all scripted and non of its real. Good buys like Rick who did it hard from the bottom up, just get sucked in, used up, and spat out!

Pass. Not for this little baby boomer black duck or his grown sons!.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I think all you need are some good actors to fill these well defined roles. Like a sitcom.
But what do I know. Good luck in your quest.

Nov 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey you should totally make a show of the legends of the lost swift silver mines in Kentucky. My brother and I have been looking for a decent little while. We have came across several carvings and 3 possibly 4 mines one of the mines actually has gold ore in the main back of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread