Caution Digging Iron-RATTLESNAKES

GWash

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those of you that dig iron verses those discriminating iron with your metal detector so you don't recover iron objects and focus on the silver, copper, gold, etc. relics or coins and buttons you might want to reconsider digging those iron objects. Here is a Revolutionary War era slave bell sad iron in the form of American Patriotism a Rattlesnake that dates 1775-1783. I can imagine a Militia or Continental Officer having his attire-uniform pressed with an iron like this historic relic as the uniform and the rattlesnake sad iron are of and for the pressing needs of the Patriotic Citizen Soldiers Revolutionary cause to remove the wrinkles of life burdens imposed by the British for those that seek Liberty. So the next time you are out metal detecting and you hear that sputtering chatter or iron under your loop that faintly resembles the rattle chatter of a rattlesnake as your machine discriminates the iron object you might venture to dig that iron instead of moving on to the desired solid signals that indicate copper, brass, silver, etc. Enjoy.
Bell Slave sad iron-solid Fox B.jpg

Upvote 15

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those of you that dig iron verses those discriminating iron with your metal detector so you don't recover iron objects and focus on the silver, copper, gold, etc. relics or coins and buttons you might want to reconsider digging those iron objects. Here is a Revolutionary War era slave bell sad iron in the form of American Patriotism a Rattlesnake that dates 1775-1783. I can imagine a Militia or Continental Officer having his attire-uniform pressed with an iron like this historic relic as the uniform and the rattlesnake sad iron are of and for the pressing needs of the Patriotic Citizen Soldiers Revolutionary cause to remove the wrinkles of life burdens imposed by the British for those that seek Liberty. So the next time you are out metal detecting and you hear that sputtering chatter or iron under your loop that faintly resembles the rattle chatter of a rattlesnake as your machine discriminates the iron object you might venture to dig that iron instead of moving on to the desired solid signals that indicate copper, brass, silver, etc. Enjoy. View attachment 2142993
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
G

GWash

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Relicmeister can you post your similar find ? It would be exciting for members to know there is more than one of these Patriotic sad irons made by blacksmiths of the 18th century. This means other examples are there to be found while metal detecting for iron.

OP
OP
G

GWash

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this something you found?
Can lightening strike twice and I find a second one is my challenging question. Not likely in Nevada nor for me in New England its a once in a life time event. But for others its possible. I hope relicmeister post his similar snake iron find.
Regards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions