cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This double neck vase has leather fringes and I believe sterling trim around the vase. I posted it a while back and nobody really could find anything even close to this.

Breezie gave me some links to some decorative and really ornate vases, but none that matched this.

I got this at a thrift store in Texas Hill Country for $5.00.

Attachments

• DSCN0073.JPG
    DSCN0073.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN0017.JPG
    DSCN0017.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0018.JPG
    DSCN0018.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN0020.JPG
    DSCN0020.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0021.JPG
    DSCN0021.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0025.JPG
    DSCN0025.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0026.JPG
    DSCN0026.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0029.JPG
    DSCN0029.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN0033.JPG
    DSCN0033.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0044.JPG
    DSCN0044.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 97

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that this was made in an art class by students doing projects. There are such classes across the southwest(college and art schools) and I have seen similar attached items on pots like this. Having said that, it could possibly be done by a navajo artist. I have also seen similar(though not so ornate)pots made by Navajos. I have also seen a couple of things like this in an Indian store here in town, an Indian store in Bandera, Tx. and at Market Square in San Antonio(inside, across from Mi Tierra if you've been there) I don't know what it's worth, but I doubt you lost money for $5. I would guess at least $20-$30 or more.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that this was made in an art class by students doing projects. There are such classes across the southwest(college and art schools) and I have seen similar attached items on pots like this. Having said that, it could possibly be done by a navajo artist. I have also seen similar(though not so ornate)pots made by Navajos. I have also seen a couple of things like this in an Indian store here in town, an Indian store in Bandera, Tx. and at Market Square in San Antonio(inside, across from Mi Tierra if you've been there) I don't know what it's worth, but I doubt you lost money for $5. I would guess at least $20-$30 or more.

Thanks Austin, I just fell in love with it when I saw it, so even if it was worth $1.00 it would still have been worth it to me! The store was actually near Austin TX. I have been to Bandera and I think that is the coolest place ever! There would be just as many horses parked outside of places as there were cars! It truly is the Cowboy Capital of the World!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some form of wedding vase to me, but I haven't seen any exactly like that.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
About Bandera, you should be there when the European tourists come in the summer to stay on the dude ranches in the area. They usually get picked up at the airport in San Antonio and when they get to Bandera they stop at the big western wear store at the traffic light when you come into town. Then with new hats, shirts, jeans and boots they take them out for a couple weeks of riding, roping, campfires, fishing and swimming. Sometimes even golf. As Bob Newhart, the comedian, once said, " it was a great dude ranch and western experience. I shot an 83". It's been a couple of years, but Busby, who owns Busby's BBQ there on main street by the light and was mayor at the time, and I stood and watched gridlock because of the traffic one Saturday, I couldn't help but remember when horses and the occasional truck was all you ever saw. Glad you got to experience that. Have fun, you really are getting and finding some neat stuff.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About Bandera, you should be there when the European tourists come in the summer to stay on the dude ranches in the area. They usually get picked up at the airport in San Antonio and when they get to Bandera they stop at the big western wear store at the traffic light when you come into town. Then with new hats, shirts, jeans and boots they take them out for a couple weeks of riding, roping, campfires, fishing and swimming. Sometimes even golf. As Bob Newhart, the comedian, once said, " it was a great dude ranch and western experience. I shot an 83". It's been a couple of years, but Busby, who owns Busby's BBQ there on main street by the light and was mayor at the time, and I stood and watched gridlock because of the traffic one Saturday, I couldn't help but remember when horses and the occasional truck was all you ever saw. Glad you got to experience that. Have fun, you really are getting and finding some neat stuff.
Are you from Bandera? My husband and I tried to go back last year, but we got hired at a ranch in east Texas and never made it back to Bandera.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I was born and raised in San Antonio, but hunted, fished, hung out and play golf there at the Flying L Resort Ranch. To tell you how rustic Bandera is, there is deer poo poo all over the athletic playing fields at the schools, you can have your picture taken on a real (old and gentle) brahma bull, and it's not unusual to see a hay wagon or a mini trail ride all year long. It's just old time Texas. The towns around it (Tarpley, Vanderpool, Medina(fantastic bakery there) are cool too. Hope you have a safe trip. Playing golf I meet lots of folks from your neck of the woods. Used to be snowbirds, but now they all call themselves "winter Texans". So come on down. We'll through another T-Bone on the grill. And you may want to keep that trunk. You'll never see one in better shape other than at a museum.

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I was born and raised in San Antonio, but hunted, fished, hung out and play golf there at the Flying L Resort Ranch. To tell you how rustic Bandera is, there is deer poo poo all over the athletic playing fields at the schools, you can have your picture taken on a real (old and gentle) brahma bull, and it's not unusual to see a hay wagon or a mini trail ride all year long. It's just old time Texas. The towns around it (Tarpley, Vanderpool, Medina(fantastic bakery there) are cool too. Hope you have a safe trip. Playing golf I meet lots of folks from your neck of the woods. Used to be snowbirds, but now they all call themselves "winter Texans". So come on down. We'll through another T-Bone on the grill. And you may want to keep that trunk. You'll never see one in better shape other than at a museum.
Sounds good!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

I can’t see that as an art school project. It looks to me like a pouring vessel for wine, oil or whatever in a style commonly produced in Morocco, and notably from the city of Fez. Similar in style to this vase:

Fez.jpg

https://www.bidsquare.com/online-au...oroccan-fez-vase-with-leather-tassels-5065196

That one is antique, which yours is not, but they're commonly made today as souvenirs sold at souks and bazaars and have also recently found their way into western homeware stores as décor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread