Changing it up

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased the 6" coil for my nox and its on the way. I've read mixed reviews but decided to give it a shot since I recently got permission to hunt a site where you cant take a step without hitting tons of iron signals. I've covered most of the ground with the 11" and i'm sure there are more good targets there than what i've found. Do you guys with the 6" coil change your detecting style when you hit these types of sites? I'm still fairly new to detecting.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Remember the 6” has a small footprint and is actually smaller than the visual coil you look at and remember the signal tapers in like a wedge from the sides and a little less from front to back. So you can easily miss a target if your off even an inch between swings. Also in really trashy areas I swing slower and move forward slower and I lower my sensitivity sometimes 10 and below. Less trash them I’ll run it hotter as long as I don’t start getting too much chatter. Depth is the same BUT you have to be more precise over the target. I run my sweep speed at 2-3 and no higher.
Have fun with your new coil.
Doug

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending on the detecting mode try the number 2 profile, like Park 2, Field 2. Good luck with the new coil!

OP
OP
VA relicman

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been seeing where people are running their sensitivity and recovery speed higher than with an 11” coil donut. Looks like you’re doing the opposite though. I’ll have to try it both ways at the site and see which one works best for me.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I’ve been seeing where people are running their sensitivity and recovery speed higher than with an 11” coil donut. Looks like you’re doing the opposite though. I’ll have to try it both ways at the site and see which one works best for me.
With recover speed too high there are Times you can miss a target. If it lock on to a deep target and quickly changes to the next target you may miss the first target. But you have to go slow when doing that.
Sensitivity to high and you just put too much signal can cause chatter and false signals. And can make it harder to pinpoint.
The 11 coil can be higher because it’s being used in les trashed areas where you need deeper penetration. So I vary my sensitivity depending on conditions.
Doug

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has their own ideas, all I can is I really-really-really like the 6" coil. In the trashy areas using the 6" I just slow my sweep speed down and listen. I believe I've picked some things out I would of missed with the larger coil.

OP
OP
VA relicman

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has their own ideas, all I can is I really-really-really like the 6" coil. In the trashy areas using the 6" I just slow my sweep speed down and listen. I believe I've picked some things out I would of missed with the larger coil.

Are you using F2? And what recovery speed and iron bias are you using?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning there relicman. I most often use Field 2, I like it most, but that's just me. I leave recovery speed at factory set, what is it seven? and am on 0 iron bias. I know I can tweek it here and there, and many do, and do it well. I just really listen to it, and really go a lot with that. Again though, Field 2 for me, and on occasion depending on where I am, Field 1. Do I get the most out of my EQ? I'm sure I am not, not as much as others, but then, I'm old and shot, I just still love detecting even after 35-40 years.

OP
OP
VA relicman

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning and thanks for the advice! I use field 2 as well and was thinking of running my recovery at 7 and iron bias at 2 just because there’s so much iron. I’ll play around with the settings when I get back to that site. The main thing I’ve heard is you have to sweep slower and move slower than normal, which will be the biggest challenge since I walk fast and swing fast by nature.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, walking and swinging slower is the much better way for me, I HEAR so much more, and the sound is the key I believe, you might hear that small high pitch squeak you might be looking for, that you would most likely miss going faster. The walking and swinging of the coil faster, or what was called "whipping the coil" may work just dandy on a large shallow target, but will miss a dime at 7" I'd bet. As far as tones? I use Multi, I detected with a Minelab Safari for some time, and at first the Multi tone made me a little crazy, but one day it just "clicked" and well, I like using it. The Safari also forced me to slow way down because the recovery speed was so much slower between targets. By and large most all detectors are good, just need to grow familiar with the one you use, and, you have a really great all around metal detector. I'd also bet that you will be doing really well with it all.

OP
OP
VA relicman

VA relicman

Apr 13, 2020
VA
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the advice! I'm still learning the machine for sure, but have found some cool relics and coins with it so far.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a new to me cellar hole in the woods this weekend. Bricks and limestone blocks strewn about between a large cellar and a stone lined well. It was apparent after about 30 minutes that the site had been detected hard, but years ago with large pieces of iron near the bases of trees and on stones.

Iron in the soil around the cellar was really bad and was not finding much with my stock coil and running Park1 at sens 21 normal swinging speed. I had the 6” coil with me, but decided to try lowering the sens to 15 and hit the easily accessible with a very slow short swing. Shallow targets started popping everywhere. Ended up with a full pouch of goodies. I plan on going back and using the 6” mainly for use in the many tight areas around the stone blocks. I will keep the sens at 15 when I return.

Key with the 6” or stock coil in the iron is to use the modes and settings to allow a clear repeating signal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread