Church Sale Art!!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked this up an hour into the sale at a local church! I went for jewelry and any nice art. It was so big, I think the masses just ignored it. I knew it was at least worth more than the $20.00 I paid for it:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445008083.512345.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445008114.500715.jpg They also had a basket full of old "tin-type" photographs and I was tempted to look for a third picture of Billy the Kid! But the Kostabi is good enough for now.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. It should give you a nice return on your investment. Personally, when I find quality art I end up keeping it.

Now if I could find an original Keith Haring painting. I'm still looking.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what his stuff sells for, I'd sell it in heart beat. Great find.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and one I would have walked by myself. Just goes to show... always google the name on that ugly painting you see. Seems the uglier it is, the more likely it's worth something.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and one I would have walked by myself. Just goes to show... always google the name on that ugly painting you see. Seems the uglier it is, the more likely it's worth something.

Yeah, I wouldn't develop an emotional attachment to it either. :laughing7:

I am impressed with the sold prices of his stuff though.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a lot of his brother's work when I looked up Kostabi. They are even some they did together.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if I took a big load of Exlax and crapped on a bunch of canvasses, would I become a famous Painter and would my' works sell for tons of money??!!:dontknow::icon_scratch::laughing7: I wonder if they would sell better dry or still wet??!! Considering some of the crap folks purchase at very high prices, I guess anything is possible!???

Frank

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if I took a big load of Exlax and crapped on a bunch of canvasses, would I become a famous Painter and would my' works sell for tons of money??!!:dontknow::icon_scratch::laughing7: I wonder if they would sell better dry or still wet??!! Considering some of the crap folks purchase at very high prices, I guess anything is possible!???

Frank
The brother Mark thinks the same way-
Mark Kostabi is a whole bunch of things — above all, perhaps, a cautionary tale. Celebrated in the 1980’s as Warhol’s heir apparent (or ******* child, take your pick) he gobbled up fame and money for production line paintings that he was happy to call “trash." While his shamelessness made plenty of people squirm, many saw Kostabi as a vivid, ballsy art-world critic. “Paintings are doorways into collectors’ homes” was one of his catch phrases, and he neatly declared that “modern art is a con, and I’m the world’s greatest con artist.” Con Artist: The Story of Mark Kostabi - News - Art in America

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks fellas! I did some quick research but didn't see the article on his brother. I sent a picture to Garth's auctions(I have a painting in their annual Art auction next month) and they said I could list it in their January auction with a value of $400-$800. At that price, I will be listing it on eBay. I'll price it high with a Best Offer option. I'm not that greedy, I'll accept less!

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
A real original. It's one his larger pieces..48"x48". Has a pencil drawing on it I believe acrylic paint. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445096650.574879.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445096675.007164.jpg

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
*UPDATE* Sold the piece to a buyer in Germany for $400.00. Great deal for the both of us!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread