Civil War Court Kansas 1864-1868 Signed by Brevet Brigadier General William Grant

ClassicCannon

Dec 3, 2015
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter ans Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I got these Books at a great price and i think they are a real treasure of Knowledge also because i believe they are the only Court Reporters book printed I check the library of congress and they don't have it they have the 1872 and the info i have below is from what i gathered on the inter-web so i may be wrong in some ares so please don't yell at me They are really neat let me know you thought and if you think they are worth anything i had sent a request to Sotherby's and they want me to mail them in for further research should i trust them ??

Also they have a lot of info on Indian locations so that would be good for mapping out location to detect no as long as they are not burial grounds

Here's my Info so Far thanks And ask any Question please

Civil War Era 1864 , 1865 , 1866 , 1868
Kansas Supreme Court Reporter's Report of Cases Argued & Determined.
1867 was not done because of
Elliot V Banks Was extremely I'll.
That is noted in Vol IV notes.

Volume 1 Signed 1864
Volume 2 Unsigned 1865
Volume 3 Signed 1866
Volume 4 Appointed Judge 1868 (Elliot Banks was Il during 1867)

These 4 Volumes are a Set By Elliot V Banks

The destruction of the city of Lawrence, Kansas, and the massacre of its inhabitants by the Rebel guerrillas, August 21, 1863
Date August 21, 1863
Location Douglas County, Kansas
Result Confederate victory

Volume 5 written By W.C. Webb Where he was Re-Elected in 1872. This book is good because this confirms that this is Indeed His Signature because on his internet History it states this

These are Very special because the District Judge of Kansas of the 9th District
The Honorable William R Brown.
Also 2 of these Books are Signed By him.

The Information below is from what i had read on the GAR website . But I'm not a Historian.The Signature i Guarantee because these books were not bought for that i had noticed only later they were.And the ink had bleed thru onto the back and front of the pages they could of been signed later when he became the Judge and was the owner of the books when he practice law. Also i hve 5 others but those are not a complete set like these and their are som cabinet photo's in them. If these sell i may include them or list them at your price So Look them up and ask any Questions. This was a great thrift store find. And the cost of them was about the same as a

Was a Brevet Brigadier General William R. Brown.And he was Also a Very Good friend of Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes. Also. He was also meeting with General Grant & Major McKinley William McKinley. In or around Shenandoah Valley in 1863

William R. Brown, whose record properly belongs among those of the pioneer settlers in Southern Kansas, was born in Pennsylvania October 11, 1823. Reared in his native state, he early showed his inclination for travel, and visited Canada, drifted west to Iowa in pioneer times, went through Kansas when it was a territory, continued on south to New Orleans, and finally reached Southern Ohio. For a time he had worked as foreman of a scale plant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1850, he married and then became foreman in machine shops and brass foundries.

At the breaking out of the war he took 40 men out of his foundry and shops at Pomeroy, Ohio, and crossing into Western Virginia enlisted there and was made Captain of Company E of the Fourth Regiment of West Virginia Infantry. He was soon advanced to the rank of Colonel of the 13th West Virginia Regiment, and while in the Shenandoah Valley was brevetted a Brigadier General, taking command of General Hayes' division in the Shenandoah Valley. Altogether he served four years, and with many of the hardest fought campaigns of the war. One of the battles in particular that he participated in was the five-hour March 28, 1863 Hurricane Bridge Skirmish (see Several times during the war he had horses shot from under him, and by his efficiency and bravery was promoted from time to time until he came out of the war with the shoulder straps of the brigadier.
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 99.JPG 999.JPG 9999.JPG a9.JPG a99.JPG a999.JPG cdv7167a.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread