🥇 BANNER Civil War Sharps carbine bullets -- with intact paper cartridges!!

gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey y'all! I got back yesterday from DIV 32 at Cole's Hill. I had a blast digging with my friends again at a very special property to me. As for finds, I did quite well, especially on bullets. But my find of the hunt came just before lunch on the third day.

I was hunting an area with quite a few relics, all of which were super deep. So I was excited to get any nice subtle deep low tone on the GPX. This particular one, though, just kept going down and down into the center of the hole. Finally I reached the target - a Sharps bullet. But I knew there was no way I got a signal at that depth from one Sharps. Knowing there had to me more, I stuck my pinpointer back into the hole, and it sang.

I quickly pinpinted another Sharps, laying horizontally. As I pulled it from the ground, I noticed the round indentation where the bullet came from and realized that these bullets still had their waterproofed paper cartridges intact!!

I was able to salvage the cartridge from one of these first two bullets, and continued more carefully as I recovered the rest. In total I got 8 complete cartridges, one separated cartridge, and one bullet by itself, as well as several percussion caps. I would later see onli e original packages of Sharps cartridges, sold in packages of 10. So I'm assuming that an entire box was discarded or forgotten, and the deep red clay kept the waterproofed cartridges intact for 150 years.

I very carefully brought them home packed in native clay. Cleanup was a challenge, and I did the best I could with dry brushing and a toothpick. I then used a wet brush over the bullet part, as well as the sturdier cartridges. The reconstruction bullet leaked gunpowder around the rim when I was cleaning the bullet, so I know it mush have gotten a small amount of water inside. I hope that doesn't destroy it. Dried them all off with cloth and letting them air dry for a long time before putting the top of the glass case on. I did the best I could, now I guess time will tell how well they hold up. But they seem surprisingly solid.

This is easily one of the coolest things I've ever found. Of all the Civil War relics dropped, they have to be the right combination of cartridge and location to be preserved intact after so long. I have seen a few of the intact 58 minie balls online before. But for an already scarce subset of dug relics, the Sharps are even significantly less common. Needless to say, I'm over the moon with this recovery.

I hope you enjoyed reading (if you made it this far) and the pictures. Happy hunting and God bless.

Attachments

• IMG_20151115_233323.jpg
    IMG_20151115_233323.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_20151115_233434.jpg
    IMG_20151115_233434.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_20151115_233522.jpg
    IMG_20151115_233522.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_20151116_223058.jpg
    IMG_20151116_223058.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_20151117_004350.jpg
    IMG_20151117_004350.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 787
Upvote 77

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is truly incredible to find that intact! Great job! Congratulations on the banner finds!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS, Is the Ground on "Cole's Hill" Pretty Hot?

The soil on the top of Cole's Hll is truly the hottest ground I've seen- even for the Culpeper area.

(And in regards to your GPX note... I'm not just saying this because we sell them, but there never has been a better time to pick one up. The prices are way, way, way down from what they were in the past but it won't last much longer)

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, That's amazing!

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find and well told. I feel like I am piling on the praise but well done

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's just amazing that you were able to recover all of these bullets intact with their original paper cartridges! :occasion14:
Congratulations on making the BANNER too! :wav:

Dave

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing they survived the way they did...don't see things like that too often..Congrats

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So awesome that you found those like that, and I thought I did good by finding 39 Spencer's in one hole with nine intact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread