Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2013
Amherstburg, ON
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Disclaimer; This is my first post. I have never used a metal detector before and don't know the first thing about them, please bare with me.

I recently lost my wedding ring and think it might be in my backyard, but not 100% sure. I thought it might be worth buying a metal detector to see if I could find it. After doing a bit of web surfing and visiting sites like this one I think that even if my ring never shows up, it would be a neat activity for my son and I to do. With that, I have found a white's classic sl II in very good condition for sale and was wondering what you folks think of this particular model. Is it worth the $100 asking price? Is it a decent unit? Would you recommend something priced over the white's?

Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be appreciated.

B~

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you spend $100 for a detector your not going to get much. At least drop $300 to $500 to get anything more than just a toy. I run a Whites V3i. It would definitely find it if it was there, but it's not cheap and not really for beginners.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Disclaimer; This is my first post. I have never used a metal detector before and don't know the first thing about them, please bare with me.

I recently lost my wedding ring and think it might be in my backyard, but not 100% sure. I thought it might be worth buying a metal detector to see if I could find it. After doing a bit of web surfing and visiting sites like this one I think that even if my ring never shows up, it would be a neat activity for my son and I to do. With that, I have found a white's classic sl II in very good condition for sale and was wondering what you folks think of this particular model. Is it worth the $100 asking price? Is it a decent unit? Would you recommend something priced over the white's?

Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be appreciated.

B~

It's an older unit but it should still worth $100 assuming it's all in good working order. It's a fine basic detector.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get it
there two types 3 nine volt or 8 aa the three nine volt is the older one
i have that one it will stick to and ace two fiddy or any first Texas instrument
grab it
it is a good sounding detector with out head phones

OP
OP
D

drink

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2013
Amherstburg, ON
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an older unit but it should still worth $100 assuming it's all in good working order. It's a fine basic detector.

Thanks for the responses guys. Scotty, I can't really justify spending hundreds at this point.

I guess what I'm asking is whether or not the whites classic sl II is just a toy or is it a decent unit, albeit very basic?

I talked the guy down to 85 and ill be picking it up this afternoon. I'll report back with my first impressions after I have tried it out!

Cheers,

B~

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bounty hunter are toys any thing from first texas instrument are toys
never a white's or a minelab

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am glad you're buying it. Why would you want to spend hundreds of dollars on something, find you don't enjoy it, then lose hundreds of dollars after you sell it for a loss? If you discover you do like the hobby and you decide to upgrade, you can use this to loan to friends who might want to go with you when your son can't. Good luck on the hunt for the ring and hope this creates memories for you and your son.

CBAILEY

Dec 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer se, whites prizm v, whites classic ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whites classics are good machines, they are older, but still do the job. I used an old garrett freedom ace plus as first detector. bought off craigs list for 25 about 4 years ago. goes about 4-7 inches depending on coin size but I found 5 gold rings with it at a freshwater beach. haven't found any more since buying the fancier machines. just have to be in the right spot. CB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread