Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
JG_in_NC said:
My guess is a Lightning type closure. The cross groves could accomodate the closure from several directions.
http://www.sha.org/bottle/closures.htm
It may have had cork or rubber to seal it but I have seen glass on glass stoppers before.
Great link. Here is a quote from it:
Glass
Excluding cork and crockery, a glass stopper was likely the most common material that was used as a bottle stopper

I dont think it would work well for concrete pours unless there was a way to attach it to the wire mesh. The steel is usually attached.

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey You Guys,

There's been a trail of these with no denouement...

Hopefully, I can bring a degree of closure on these. I've found a number of the ones like yours over the years. I always wondered what they were. I thought some sort of plug or stopper for vitreous clay pipe, and I still hold on to that as a possibility. Only because I have found them in close proximity to small size vitreous pipe.

I was later told that they were stoppers for carboys. That made sense to me, but I wondered about alternative or additional uses...

It wasn't until I found this porcelain example that I pretty much closed the book on them.

15ea876e.jpg

99b6c6f9.jpg

dd873079-2a9d-4550-92df-230957743557_zpscd9b7c64.jpg

The Gem Stopper Co, of Philadelphia patented these guys, though I've not yet found the patent drawings. The Smithsonian has their catalog: [Trade catalogs from Gem Stopper Co.] | Collections Search Center, Smithsonian Institution

"[Trade catalogs from Gem Stopper Co.]
VARIANT COMPANY NAME:
Established 1875
COMPANY NAME:
Gem Stopper Co.
RELATED COMPANIES:
Gesco
NOTES CONTENT:
Universal acid carbon stoppers ; asbestos gaskets ; metal fasteners ; "Gesco" brand."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

From a lawsuit concerning their milk bottle stoppers:

"That at all said times, the Gem Stopper Company, the defendant above named, was and now is a Pennsylvania corporation engaged in the business of the manufacture of bottle stoppers, including tin milk tops, and a special variety thereof known as Lightning Tin Tops for milk bottles and the wire trimmings for fastening the same. Bradbury's Lawyers' Manual and Clerks' and Conveyancers' Assistant

These stoppers, I believe were afixed with wire bail closures, a la the Lightning stopper bail. I also think for that nice tight seal, they would have had a rubber gasket.

I hope this will serve as a semi solution to some of the long running discussions that have periodically graced these forums.

c0078c0893f748597681f424bf33738dcdd55352.JPG

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ah I remember being scolded by then moderator PBK for not accepting the surveyor cap ID because he was a young man and this is a family forum.
You dont always know the age of the member you are trying to debate.

Old thread finally SOLVED.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions