Central Pa
Detector(s) used
At Pro/F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

paramedic

May 9, 2009
saint charles mo
Best advice is Never clean a coin. I use distilled water with a very mild dish detergent. I place the coin in the water, in a plastic bowl. Allow to sit a few minutes just to remove any finger oil, then rinse in a separate plastic bowl of distilled water. So no chlorine or chemicals touch the coin. Do not scrub or wipe the coin. I remove with a plastic spoon and allow to dry completely. Handle only with cotton coin gloves there after. I treat all coins as if they are rare. It is a good practice to get into. The gloves cost about 2.50 a pair.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're going to keep it, cleaning may be OK. If you intend to try and sell it, leave it cruddy. Perhaps a soak in olive oil to soften the crud and careful cleaning.

You can drop an AU coin several grades with Kleenex tissue, but dug coins are already "suspect" by coin shops and they'll rip you to pieces when grading them anyway.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Charlie. They are dug coins, so they are already damaged. Clean away if it makes you happy.

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new thing is bees wax instead of olive oil. A few folks have been claiming that OO isn’t the greatest?? Everybody has an opinion
I also agree with Charlie, Except for the older colonials and such(key dates etc.). Quite a few in my club have cleaned them to the point where they disintegrate and they regret it! Big time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread