Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a chance to sneak in a 2 1/2 hour hunt today. I stayed close to home and hunted a local park. I wasn't expecting much because it seems that everyone in NYC, that owns a CTX 3030, has hit this park. I did get a few deep signals which I knew were probably Wheat Pennies. (and they were).
I got a heart stopper moment when I dug a ring with a gold chain running through it. The chain was broken so I was sure to check the hole a few times. About 20 minutes I puled the ring and chain out of my pocket and ran the E-trac coil over it. It came up quarter. (12-47) Gold plated Silver.
Another ring popped out of the ground about 20 minutes later. This one was a signal that could have been foil, gold, or maybe a nickel. (12-10) Right on the cusp. It was pretty bent up and needed to be straightened out with my ring sizer.
When I got home I cleaned and checked the chain and both rings. I don't know what the ring that came with chain is,, but it isn't gold or silver and has tarnish on the inside of the band. The second ring turned out to be a costume jewelry ring by AVON. (Ding Dong). The chain doesn't have any markings on it. Close but No Cigar.
My finds for the day were: 1 Susan B Anthony Dollar, 10q, 14d, 1n, 9 memorials, and 4 Wheat Pennies, (14, 20, 29, & 50)
I also recovered a toy gun hammer.
IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1547.JPG IMG_1548.JPG IMG_1550.JPG /I]

Last edited:
Upvote 8

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Don't discount that Avon ring! Some of the Avon stuff brings good money! Some of the pieces I've bought for 50 cents to flip have sold for $125 + Check the books and collector sites for ID & prices.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, I always wondered if nyc parks were off limits, have u ever tried any part of central park?

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NYC issues an annual permit that you have to apply for. There are 31 parks and 7 beaches that you can hunt .
CENTRAL PARK is off limits.
Go to NYC parks and Recreation and download an application.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah well. Still fun! And you had a blast doing it. THAT is what hte hobby is about. :)

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ATW NICE RINGS .....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread