Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Image on the right looks Mexican (small cross bar on the end of each radial of the cross). Pre-1747. Denonimations were in 1,2 4 and 8-reales; the '8' weighing about 27 grams--from which you can then estimate the proportional denomination of your coin after deducting the est. weight of the bezel. I'm not familar with the image on the obverse side of the coin; I can't remember seeing anything like that. The "X" on a Hapsburg shield would be in the top right, not in the middle of the design. I look forward to reading what the experts think.
Don.....

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon fella's - don't leave the original poster hanging - I saw his post on another thread and told him to post it here as you guys are the cob experts and I knew you'd have an answer for him right away!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can see that if you flipped the left image, the "X" might appear to be in the upper right area. But even then, I'm unfamilar with that 'Naples and Sicily' designated area void of verticle lines through all or a portion of the "X".
What denomination was it determined to be?
Don....

OP
OP
cord

cord

May 11, 2012
Mackaydon said:
I can see that if you flipped the left image, the "X" might appear to be in the upper right area. But even then, I'm unfamilar with that 'Naples and Sicily' designated area void of verticle lines through all or a portion of the "X".
Don....

I don't think that has been determined yet. I had no clue what it was. Thanks for your info. I do greatly appreciate it.

OP
OP
cord

cord

May 11, 2012
Mackaydon said:
Don....

Since I'm a native land locked land lover in the mountains of Colorado, I don't see to much pirate treasure. Well I've never seen it. I thought it was a charm from a bracelet with some old coin.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Charles II 1/2 real possibly? Rotate the monogram...
Mexico yes...
Just my 2 bits worth...
What was weight before being wrapped?

Trez

Last edited:
OP
OP
cord

cord

May 11, 2012
Trez said:
Mexico yes...
Just my 2 bits worth...

Trez

Umm.... Hun? Got the Charles II part. Isn't that English?

OP
OP
cord

cord

May 11, 2012
Trez said:
Mexico yes...
Just my 2 bits worth...

Trez

Item was found in Steamboat Springs, Colorado with a metal detector. I have no idea of it's weight. I can weigh as is. KICK BUTT FIND!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cord - Trez is asking what the weight of the coin alone is - I think he missed the part about you finding it in the bezel already. It won't help to weigh the whole pendant. The weight of the coin itself can help folks like Trez figure out if it's real and what denomination it may be.

Trez is about as good as they come for identifying a find. I would say if it's authentic (which I think it most likely is), it was dropped by a tourist at one point or another and they likely purchased it as a wreck find (like the Atocha which was found off Florida). It's certainly a unique place/way to find an old cob silver coin.

Last edited:

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Yeah it looks like a monogram for Charles II. The C can barely be seen, only the end capitals. Size may be more of an indicator. The coin we are discussing is relatively small, like dime-sized.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions