Coil balance

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spent the last two days going through all 17 pages of threads in this forum and I haven't found the answer to this: If a MD comes from the manufacturer with a coil that is 'tuned' for that unit-(for frequency match/best performance), then you change coils, does the unit need to be retuned to maintain optimum performance. The reason I'm asking is there was a 10"x12" Tesoro coil on feebay that said it would work on the Cibola, Vaquero and Tejon. Well the"C" and "V" run in the mid 14khz and the "T" runs in the 17khz- not the same. Isn't this too much freq. variation/seperation to be compatiable? Thanks for the replies.HH dig dig dig- yelnif...:BangHead:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cibola has FIXED ground balance. If you could adjust your ground balance, you would not have to "tune" a new coil to your machine. Since yours is fixed, for the BEST results, you should have it tuned to your machine. Call Nathan Jaeger at Tesoro, 928-771-2646, and ask him what he would do.

PS - Check out this info for more on the history of search coils, and how they work http://www.deeptech-bg.com/search_coils.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
yelnif

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TS, I'll call him tomorrow- I didn't know that the GB would also act to balance the coil to the 'machine'.interesting. yelnif...
ps interesting link, It leads me to think there is an acceptable fluctuation in the freq. within any certain machine and that it is possible to retune the coil to the electronics for best optimum freq. match. yelnif...

OP
OP
yelnif

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2:Thank you terry, I just spoke with nathan and he confirmed your explanation on the GB. I didn't realize the manual GB took into account small freq. design fluctuations in the coil and tune out the ground mineralization. Thats great.:hello2: HH yelnif...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread